(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I still seem to be on a bit of a caramel apple addiction lately and this Caramel Apple Bars Recipe is not helping my addiction! But that’s ok, right? Hope you enjoyed my Caramel Apple Cheesecaketini cocktail recipe recently because now you have some cookie bars to serve alongside. :) These Caramel Apple Bars are full of fresh apples, caramel, and oats! Wish we didn’t eat them all so that I had some to share with you right now!
To start, you’ll need to make the crust that will also be used for the crumb topping. Mix together the flour, oats (I used Quaker old-fashioned oats but you could use the quick variety), brown sugar, baking soda, and salt until combined. Then mix in the melted butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
Spread about 3/4 of the mixture onto a lightly greased 13×9 pan. You might need to use the back of a fork or your hands to spread the batter evenly across the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Bake the crust at 350 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes or until slightly puffed.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, add the caramels (I used Kraft caramels), chopped apple (I used about 3 Granny Smith apples), and cream. Stir until caramel is smooth and apples are slightly soft.
After you remove the crust from the oven, top with the caramel apple mixture then sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned around edges. Cool, cut into bars, then enjoy! (picture below is before they went into the oven)
Did I mention these Caramel Apple Bars are also great topped with ice cream and more caramel? But I bet you already guessed that! ;) These bars would also be great with a little cinnamon or apple pie spice in the crust mixture or apples. Your favorite nuts would also be a great addition to the top crust! Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy!
Caramel Apple Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned (or quick) oats
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted & cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups peeled & cored chopped apple (such as Granny Smith), about 3 apples
- 1 (16 oz.) bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Mix in melted butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
- Spread about 2/3 of mixture onto bottom of prepared baking dish to form an even thin crust layer. You may need to use the back of a fork or your hands to spread evenly. Set remaining crust mixture aside.
- Bake crust for about 12-14 minutes or until slightly puffed.
- Meanwhile, place chopped apples, caramels, and cream in small saucepan over low heat. Stir until caramel is smooth and melted and apples are slightly soft.
- Pour caramel apple mixture over baked crust. Sprinkle remaining crust mixture on top. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees F or until edges are slightly browned. Cool then cut into bars.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure to use a good cooking apple such as Granny Smith.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You could also add some cinnamon or apple pie spice to the recipe, or your favorite nuts would also be a great addition.
More caramel apple recipes:
- Caramel Apple Cheesecaketini – Snappy Gourmet
- Caramel Apple Mug Cake – The Hungry Hedgehog
- Baked Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dumplings – Willow Bird Baking
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls – Gimme Some Oven
- Spiked Caramel Apple Cider – Jelly Toast