Feta Spread with Rosemary and Lemon, an easy Italian and Greek inspired appetizer recipe with only 5 ingredients including feta cheese, cream cheese, fresh rosemary, lemon, and garlic. Makes a great creamy dip or spread for crostini/bread, crackers, sandwiches, burgers, veggies, and more!
This easy Feta Spread with Rosemary and Lemon recipe has been so popular along with my other spread recipes, that I thought I’d update it! It’s a tasty homemade Greek and Italian inspired appetizer but can also be used as a dip. Only 5 ingredients and ready in just a few minutes. It makes the perfect appetizer to bring to a party as well!
I’m assuming most people know what feta cheese and have had it, but just in case you haven’t…
What is Feta?
Feta cheese is a soft Greek cheese, although many countries now manufacture their own. It’s generally made from whole sheep’s milk, but there are many variations on the market right now. Some feta may also be made from goat or cow milk, or a combination of different types.
It can be found in most major grocery stores sold in cubes in a brine. For best results, store the cheese in the brine so that the cheese doesn’t dry out.
Only 5 ingredients needed for this simple appetizer recipe! So easy to make from scratch, no reason to buy store-bought spreads. It’s delicious!
Since there aren’t a lot of ingredients, I’d highly recommend using fresh ingredients as well as full-fat cheeses.
I personally like to throw all the ingredients in a food processor and process until nearly smooth and more of a “whipped” feta spread, but you can also just mix everything in a bowl.
Feta Spread Ingredients
- Feta cheese
- Cream cheese
- Fresh rosemary
- Lemon juice
- Salt/Pepper (optional and not really needed)
How to Make Feta Spread
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together cream cheese, feta, rosemary, lemon juice, and garlic until well combined (or place in a food processor and process several times until just combined). Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(Full printable recipe card is at bottom of post.)
- Use as a spread for crostini, crackers, bread, baguette slices, pieces of pita bread, etc.
- Use as a spread for sandwiches or burgers
- Top meat such as pork or lamb with a dollop of the spread
- Use as a dip for veggies, chips, pita chips, or pretzels
- Add a little Greek Yogurt or mayonnaise to use as a salad dressing
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Use fresh rosemary and fresh lemon juice for the best possible flavor.
- Refrigerate the spread for a little while (20+ minutes or so…) if not longer for flavors to blend then bring to room temperature to soften.
- Use full-fat cream cheese and feta for the best taste, but you could substitute low-fat if you prefer.
- If you like a less lumpy spread, throw all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Or you can also finely crumble the feta cheese before mixing with other ingredients in a bowl.
- The spread can firm up quite a bit in the fridge, so soften to room temperature for a more spreadable or dipping consistency.
Feta Spread FAQ
How should I store Feta Spread?
Store the spread covered in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze Feta Spread?
I would not recommend freezing as the cheese may change consistency.
How long will Feta Spread last?
If your ingredients are all fresh, it should last a few days if not longer like a week.
Instead of rosemary, you could use your favorite fresh herb such as basil or oregano and pair with your favorite citrus juice.
Can I use low-fat cheese?
For best flavor and consistency I would recommend using full-fat, however, low fat would work just fine and a good alternative. Lower fat cream cheese may give the spread a slightly looser consistency but still great for a skinny version.
What else can I add to this recipe?
For a spicy version add some red pepper flakes. You could also add chopped olives, bell peppers, chopped tomato or sundried tomato, or your favorite herbs.
What should I serve Feta Spread with?
See above for serving suggestions, but I would suggest serving with crostini or crackers as a quick and easy appetizer. For a low carb or gluten-free option, veggies are also great!
Other Spread Recipes You May Enjoy
- Roasted Red Pepper Spread – Spicy spread with roasted red pepper and hot sauce.
- Pineapple Cream Cheese Spread – Fun combo with pineapple and cream cheese!
Hope you enjoy this Feta spread appetizer recipe. It’s great for everyday use as well as casual or even fancy parties! Tell me in the comments if you added any other herbs or ingredients!
Shop the Post:
Feta Spread with Rosemary and Lemon
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Serving suggestions: vegetables, crackers, toasted baguette slices, pretzels, etc.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together cream cheese, feta, rosemary, lemon juice, and garlic until well combined (or place in a food processor and process several times until just combined). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
This post was originally published in February 2012, but updated in November 2019 with additional information.