Mexican Refrigerator Pickles, easy homemade refrigerator pickles ready the next day with no canning needed! These quick and easy Mexican pickles can be made mild or spicy and full of dill and Mexican flavor!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Something about summer makes me think about pickles. Is that weird? I love creating new and fun pickle flavors like these Mexican Refrigerator Pickles! Canning still kind of freaks me out so I always opt for quick and easy refrigerator pickles that are ready the next day. Can’t beat how easy these dill pickles with Mexican flavors come together. Another great addition to the Best Pickle Recipes list!
You don’t need a lot of crazy ingredients for these easy Mexican pickles. Most of the ingredients you probably have around. Definitely go for the fresh herbs rather than anything you have in your cupboard for these refrigerator pickles.
Think of these as refrigerator dill pickles with a twist!
Ingredients for Mexican Refrigerator Pickles
- Fresh dill – fresh will work a lot better than dried dill.
- Fresh cilantro – same as above, go for the fresh herbs.
- Onion – any type of onion will do although we just used a white onion.
- Garlic – you can add more/less garlic to your personal preference.
- Jalapeno – fresh jalapeno will give these pickles a little kick but you can add more/less.
- Cucumbers – for best results go for small thin firm cucumbers that don’t have a lot of seeds.
- Water – easy enough!
- White vinegar – you could substitute other types of vinegar but other kinds of vinegar can have a much stronger flavor.
- Sugar – just regular old granulated sugar works best.
- Taco seasoning – use your favorite brand or even homemade taco seasoning.
- Salt– the taco seasoning has a lot of salt so you shouldn’t need to add too much more.
- Black pepper – just a little for flavor.
How to Make Mexican Refrigerator Pickles
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Use fresh herbs and ingredients.
- Use high-quality mini cucumbers that are firm, crisp, and not full of seeds.
- Refrigerate the pickles overnight or 24 hours to give the pickles enough time to cool completely and absorb the flavor.
- Try the recipe as-is the first time then experiment with other flavors the next time.
- Use a glass jar or non-reactive container so that the pickles don’t absorb other flavors.
Mexican Refrigerator Pickles FAQ
Can I add other spices or herbs to these homemade pickles?
YES! Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices. Although I do highly recommend fresh herbs and spices for these pickles, feel free to experiment. Different taco seasonings would be a great start or try adding other types of peppers, cumin, or even Mexican oregano.
My pickles don’t have much taste, what went wrong?
Generally, when I hear this I ask what kind of cucumbers you used. Large watery pickles with a lot of seeds don’t typically make the best pickles with this recipe. I suggest small thin firm cucumbers that don’t have a lot of seeds. I like to use “mini” cucumbers that I buy in a package in my produce department. Try different types of cucumbers until you find ones you like.
How do I make these Mexican Refrigerator Pickles spicier?
Now we’re talking! Try adding more jalapeno or different types of dried or fresh peppers.
What can I use these pickles on?
These pickles can be used in place of regular dill pickles in any of your favorite foods. They’d be great on burgers, hot dogs, or sandwiches. Or try them chopped in your favorite Mexican food such as tacos. They’d also be great chopped in dips, or just serve them up all by themselves for people to snack on.
Do you have to refrigerate pickles or how do I store them?
Yes, these pickles should be stored covered in the refrigerator.
How long do refrigerator pickles last?
Well depending on the quality of your ingredients these refrigerator pickles could last a few weeks to a few months. They generally don’t last that long in our house though!
Hope you enjoy these Mexican Refrigerator Pickles!
Like making your own condiments? Be sure to check out my Homemade Ranch Dressing (SO much better than anything in a jar from the grocery store), and our family’s awesome secret sauce, Boom Sauce that is great on just about everything!
Mexican Refrigerator Pickles
- 1/2 cup (or handful) of fresh dill sprigs
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 slices jalapeno
- 3 cups thinly sliced small cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place dill, cilantro, garlic, onion, and jalapeno slices in a large mason jar. Fill jar to top with cucumbers.
- Meanwhile, place the water, vinegar, sugar, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper in small saucepan over high heat. Whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour hot liquid over cucumbers. Cool slightly, then place top on jar and refrigerate overnight.