Pizza Chicken, a quick and easy low carb baked chicken recipe that is delicious and combines pizza and chicken! This homemade pizza chicken breast recipe is quick enough for a weeknight family dinner and kid approved! It’s also gluten-free, but full of flavor with tomato sauce, spices, cheese, and mini pepperoni!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
This Pizza Chicken recipe is a quick and easy meal that is perfect for a family weeknight dinner. Not a lot of ingredients and with a side of veggies, you’ll have a complete meal that even your pickiest eaters will enjoy. This low carb easy dinner recipe that combines pizza and chicken is so easy even the kids could make it!
Not to be confused with chicken pizza, (like from Domino’s…) this homemade Pizza Chicken is more like a chicken breast pizza recipe and it’s just as easy to make as my other baked chicken recipes.
This Pizza Chicken is the BEST simple weeknight dinner that is also family-friendly. Can’t beat that right? It’s cheesy and delicious. Great with some veggies like Italian Green Beans or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
There are lots of possible variations for this low carb Pizza Chicken recipe. I hate to even call it a recipe because it’s so easy you can make it without a recipe! I wrote the recipe for 2 chicken breasts because the ones I had were HUGE and enough for 4 of us.
You could easily use 4 smaller chicken breasts or any number you need for your family. The recipe can be easily adapted as the amount of the ingredients for this particular recipe is really a personal preference.
Pizza Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could use thighs as well.
- Tomato Sauce – Use your favorite pizza or tomato sauce.
- Cheese – Any type of shredded Italian or pizza blend cheese would work as would mozzarella.
- Pepperoni – I used mini turkey pepperoni but you could use regular pepperoni.
- Seasoning – Any of your favorite pizza seasoning will work great. I used garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and a little salt and pepper. A little fresh basil and/or oregano after you bake the chicken would also be great!
- Optional – Add your favorite veggies like mushrooms, spinach, peppers, onions, or whatever you like. I suggest precooking all veggies though. Olives would also be great.
How to Make Pizza Chicken
- Cut your chicken breasts “hasselback” style (cut the chicken so it’s still intact on the bottom). You don’t have to cut it this way but does help it cook faster if they are thick pieces of chicken.
- Pour tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Then place the chicken on top.
- top the chicken with more tomato sauce, then sprinkle the top with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the chicken for about 20-25 minutes or until nearly cooked.
- Top with cheese and pepperoni and bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Can I Make This Pizza Chicken Dairy-Free or Lower Fat?
This easy dinner recipe is naturally gluten-free and low-carb. For a lighter version, you could substitute lower fat pepperoni and low-fat cheese. For a dairy-free version, use a good cheese substitute. Depending on your diet, you can easily change up these baked chicken breasts.
That’s it, super easy, right? Can never have too many low carb chicken breast recipes, right? And if it’s family and kid-friendly that’s always a nice bonus.
So not low carb, but another fun family-friendly idea is this recipe for Mini Snowman Pizzas. So cute!
Let me know what toppings you put on your homemade pizza chicken.
Check out this quick video to see how easy this cheesy baked Pizza Chicken Recipe is to put together:
Pizza Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make incisions in the chicken "hasselback" style, about 1/2 inch apart, being careful not to cut all the way through the chicken.
- Spoon about half of the tomato sauce into an even layer on the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish. Top with chicken. Spoon the remaining sauce on top of the chicken and in between the chicken slices. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper on top of chicken.
- Bake chicken about 20-25 minutes or until nearly cooked through.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of chicken and in between chicken slices. Top with mini pepperoni. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
This post was originally published on March 3, 2016, but was updated and republished on March 6, 2019. The recipe is basically the same, but more information was added and photos updated.