Nacho Chicken, an easy 30 minute Mexican family friendly and kid approved dinner! Lower carb and gluten-free options too for this easy chicken dinner.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
You won’t believe how quick and easy this Nacho Chicken recipe is! Perfect weeknight dinner for the family. Since my Pizza Chicken was so popular last year, I thought this Nacho Chicken recipe would be a nice addition to my recipe index. My kids loved adding their favorite taco toppings and I love how quick I was able to get dinner on the table! Plus, no one complained about dinner, so that’s a nice bonus!
Start with really thin boneless chicken breasts. My grocery story has a very thin cut of boneless chicken breasts. If your chicken breasts are really thick you can pound them with a meat mallet or if you don’t have a meat mallet, just thinly slice the chicken into strips. If your chicken is too thick it may take longer to cook through and your cheese might burn so PLEASE make sure the chicken is thin.
Once you have the chicken on a baking sheet, sprinkle and spread some taco seasoning on top. Store bought taco seasoning or one of my Homemade Taco Seasonings will work just fine.
Then top the chicken with your favorite shredded cheese and salsa. I used a Mexican blend cheese but your favorite shredded cheese will work such as cheddar or monterrey jack. I used a tomato salsa, but any kind of salsa would also work just as your favorite fruit salsa, green salsa, or whatever you have.
Bake the Nacho Chicken for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the oven and top with your favorite taco toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, and guacamole. Other great options would be sliced olives, shredded cabbage, and peppers. Great time to use up leftover veggies you have around.
I also added a little crushed tortilla chips on top of our Nacho Chicken for a little crunch, but if you want a lower carb option, just omit the chips. If you want a gluten-free option, be sure your tortilla chips are gluten-free and not made from flour tortillas.
Here’s a quick video to show you how quick this family-friendly dinner idea comes together…
My family went crazy for this Nacho Chicken, and hope yours does too!
Hope you enjoy!
Nacho Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin, or thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- Lettuce chopped
- Tomatoes chopped
- Onion chopped
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray or brush lightly with oil.
- Place chicken in a single layer on baking sheet. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Sprinkle cheese over chicken then spoon salsa over chicken.
- Bake chicken at 400 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Top with your favorite toppings.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure your chicken is thinly sliced so that the chicken cooks through before the cheese burns.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of Mexican blend cheese, use your favorite shredded cheese.
Other chicken dinners you may enjoy:
- Crunchy Mexican Tortilla Chicken – Snappy Gourmet
- Green Chili Sour Cream Chicken Zucchini Boats – The Hungry Waitress
- One Pan Southwest Chicken and Rice – Laughing Spatula
- Chicken Tikki Masala – Strength and Sunshine