Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, quick and easy way how to make shredded chicken in a pressure cooker. Plus lots of ideas of what to make with shredded chicken.
One of my favorite recipes to make is Instant Pot Shredded Chicken! It’s quick and easy and shredded chicken can be used in SO many different recipes.
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
(For the full recipe and printable recipe card, scroll to the bottom of the post.)
First, you’ll need an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Although it took me a long time to take my Instant Pot out of the box, once I got it out and got used to it, now I LOVE it! There is a small learning curve, but once you get through it, it’s great.
Place the boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot. I had about 3 pounds of chicken, but you could use a little more or less.
Sprinkle some of your favorite seasonings on top of the chicken. I sprinkled a little onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Depending on what you’re using the chicken for, you could use a variety of other things such as taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, or anything else you can think of.
Pour some chicken broth on top of the chicken. Instead of chicken broth, you could also use vegetable broth. You could also use water, but I love adding broth for a little more flavor.
Cover the Instant Pot with the top and lock.
Set your Instant Pot on the poultry setting on high pressure for 15 minutes.
After the 15 minutes, let the Instant Pot slow release on its own. Then remove chicken from the pot and place on a cutting board.
How to Shred Chicken
Using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart. It should come apart fairly easily but does take a little time.
What To Make With Shredded Chicken
Now that you have a lot of shredded chicken, check out some of my favorite shredded chicken recipes (or these Boiled Chicken Recipes for even more ideas) and here are some more quick recipe ideas…
- Shredded Chicken Tacos – Mix the chicken with a little salsa or enchilada sauce for a quick taco filling with your favorite toppings. A sprinkle of Chicken Taco Seasoning would also work.
- Salad – Shredded chicken is an easy addition to any salad, pasta salad, or even chicken salad!
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches – Mix the chicken with a little BBQ sauce and top with some coleslaw on a bun. Delish!
- Lettuce Wraps – Mix the chicken with a little teriyaki sauce and serve in lettuce leaves and toppings.
- Pasta – Take your favorite pasta and mix in your favorite sauce and some shredded chicken.
Have other favorites? Would love to hear in the comments!
This does make a lot of chicken, but you can freeze it! I think it’s better if you mix the chicken with a little sauce such as enchilada sauce or BBQ sauce before freezing.
Hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken! If you don’t have an Instant Pot you may enjoy my boiled chicken that you make in a pot on the stovetop. If you do have an Instant Pot you may also enjoy this easy Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the chicken in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on top.
- Pour chicken broth on top of chicken breasts.
- Set Instant Pot on poultry for high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure slow release.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot. Shred with two forks (or meat shredder claws).
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
A fast easy way to “shred the chicken” is to place in the kitchen aid mixer with the paddle while still warm. It does a fantastic job!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Lisa Huff says
YES! Great suggestion that I totally forgot about, thank you!
Jacqueline Debono says
Such a great idea! I’m still on the fence about getting an Instant Pot but then I see fab ways to use it and wish I had already bought one!
Great way to cook chicken!
Such a great “basics” recipe. I have never made shredded chicken in my Instant Pot. I need to try this!
Mary Bostow says
This sounds amazing and I will be making it tomorrow, can’t wait to taste it!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest says
My favorite way to use shredded chicken is mixed with green sauce and cheese for a tasty enchilada filling. The instant pot really makes it easy, too!