Learn how to boil chicken for a wide range of easy recipes such as salads, sandwiches, tacos, soups, and more. This easy boiled chicken is moist and delicious!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I’m sharing some of my tips for making the best boiled chicken that is moist and delicious! Learn how to make boiled chicken in no time with very few ingredients and very little prep time or effort. You can shred or chop the chicken for all sorts of recipes including Easy Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta, Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, and Greek Lemon Chicken Soup.
I like to use a slightly different method than fully submerging the chicken in liquid for a less “rubbery” chicken. I think this works great and hope you like it too!
How to Boil Chicken
- Pour a can (14.5 ounces) of chicken broth into the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Add about 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the broth in a single layer. Do not fully submerge the chicken.
- Cover pan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low to simmer.
- Leave lid on the pan and cook about 20-30 minutes, then turn chicken over, and cook another 20-30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, leave the lid on, and let the chicken steam about 15 minutes.
So this chicken is part boiled chicken and part steamed chicken. I think the results are great! To mix it up a bit, you can add your favorite spices to the broth or chicken before cooking.
Tips For Making The Best Boiled Chicken
- For best results, make sure your chicken breasts are all roughly the same size so that the cooking time will be the same.
- Keep the lid on the pan so that the top of the chicken also steams which will result in moist chicken.
- Defrost the chicken fully for best results.
- Use a good quality chicken broth or homemade chicken broth or chicken stock.
- As soon as the broth starts to boil, turn down the heat to a simmer.
Can You Boil Frozen Chicken
So technically you can boil frozen chicken, however, you may be disappointed in the results. The chicken will take longer to cook AND the outside of the chicken will start to get overcooked and rubbery while the inner part of the chicken is still frozen. That’s why I strongly recommend defrosting the chicken first.
You can also try making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken if you’re a big Instant Pot fan like myself!
Now that you have some boiled chicken, you can chop it or shred it. Check out these easy Shredded Chicken Recipes for some great ideas what to use the chicken for.
How To Boil Chicken
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth (or about 1 3/4 cups chicken broth)
- 2 pounds defrosted boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan. Add chicken so that chicken is in a single layer. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low to simmer leaving lid on pan.
- Cook chicken about 45-60 minutes, turning chicken over about halfway through cooking. Turn heat off and let chicken steam with lid on about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place on large cutting board to cool. Chicken can be shredded or chopped as desired.