Homemade Peanut Butter Sauce for Ice Cream, an easy dessert sauce recipe that is the best not only on ice cream but also cheesecake, pancakes, and more. This peanut butter dessert sauce has only 2 ingredients and ready in one minute or less!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I’ve been making variations of this Homemade Peanut Butter Sauce for ice cream for ages. Best part is, you can serve this peanut butter dessert sauce on a variety of things besides just ice cream.
Before I get started, I should clarify that this peanut butter sauce is a DESSERT sauce and not to be confused with the savory peanut butter sauces often affiliated with Asian dishes.
This sauce would be great on any kind of ice cream or like my homemade Elvis Ice Cream, or even this Chocolate Peanut Butter Snow Ice Cream. Of course homemade or store-bought vanilla ice cream is always a go-to.
This peanut butter sauce reminds me a lot of the peanut butter fudge sauce for ice cream you get at ice cream shops like Friendly’s, Dairy Queen, and others.
This easy dessert sauce only has 2 ingredients and takes a minute or less in your microwave. Doesn’t get more simple, does it?
If you’re a big peanut butter fan, you might also like my no-bake peanut butter lasagna with lots of chocolate too!
How to Make Peanut Butter Sauce for Ice Cream
- Place peanut butter chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl or container.
- Microwave for 15-second intervals. Stir after each, and continue to microwave until smooth. Takes about 30 seconds to 60 seconds.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
Tips for the Best Peanut Butter Dessert Sauce:
- Do not substitute regular peanut butter. Although you could make dessert peanut butter sauces with peanut butter, cooked peanut butter has a different taste.
- You can substitute milk, half and half, or milk substitute for the heavy cream but your end result may not be as creamy and rich.
- Add a little salt and/or vanilla extract to the sauce to take it up a notch.
- Be careful to not OVER cook the sauce or it will get burnt and have a funny taste.
What to Serve Peanut Butter Sauce on:
- Ice cream
- Pancakes, waffles, or French toast
- Cake such as pound cake or angel food cake
- Pie such as chocolate or cookie pies
This peanut butter dessert sauce would be great on so many things! Easy way to make a peanut butter sundae with vanilla ice cream, peanut butter sauce, whipped cream, and more peanut butter chips (or peanuts). Yum!
What would you put this peanut butter dessert sauce on? Let me know in the comments below.
Hope you enjoy this quick and easy Homemade Peanut Butter Sauce for ice cream! Check out one of my other favorite ice cream sauces, Homemade Cajeta (3 ways!).
Peanut Butter Sauce for Ice Cream
- 1 cup peanut butter baking chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Place peanut butter chips and cream in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth. Depending on your microwave will probably take 30 to 60 seconds total.
- Cool slightly before using. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers and re-microwave and stir for future use.