Grilled Buffalo Wings, quick and easy chicken wings made in no time on the grill tossed in a simple homemade Buffalo Sauce! Great for a snack, parties, or even dinner. Delicious and no deep-frying hassle or mess. Perfect!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
These Grilled Buffalo Wings combine two tasty favorites, my Homemade Buffalo Sauce and my quick and easy Grilled Chicken Wings. Ready in about 30 minutes, these wings make a great snack for a party (Super Bowl anyone?) or simple dinner for the family.
It’s Football and tailgating season, so Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wings seemed to be the perfect food this time of year. Although I do love breaded or battered deep-fried chicken wings I don’t like how long they take and the mess. Ohhh the mess. That’s why I have so many buffalo recipes that are not fried but inspired by wings.
That’s where this grilled wings recipe comes in handy. When you don’t want the mess in the kitchen and need something fairly quick, you can make the wings on the grill and homemade buffalo sauce.
Or choose another sauce like this Korean BBQ Sauce or Homemade Teriyaki Sauce. I bet this Homemade Alfredo Sauce would be good too for a cheesy Italian version. These from-scratch sauces are all easy to make and great alternatives.
You can use any amount of chicken wings you’d like. Keep in mind there are usually 4-5 whole wings (or double that for wingettes and drumettes separated) per pound but that can vary depending on the size of the wings. Since they’re small, you can fit quite a few on the grill at one time.
The sauce recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups which should be plenty for quite a bit of wings. You really don’t need that much buffalo sauce BUT personal preference. Any leftover sauce can be stored in the fridge or you can serve on the side with your wings.
(Full printable recipe card is at bottom of post.)
Grilled Buffalo Wings Ingredients
- Chicken wings – Split at the joint to separate the wingettes from the drumettes. Or buy prepped.
- Seasonings – Such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder OR your favorite spice combo.
- Frank’s hot sauce – Or your favorite hot sauce, but results will vary a lot.
- Butter – Or could use margarine.
- Brown sugar – Or sweetener of choice such as honey or granulated sugar.
- Lemon juice – Could use vinegar, but the lemon juice is great in this.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
How to Grill Buffalo Wings
- PREHEAT. Preheat grill to medium.
- SEASON. Generously sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder (or your favorite seasoning combo) on both sides of wings.
- COOK. Grill chicken wings about 4-6 minutes per side or until cooked through and browned on both sides.
- MAKE SAUCE. Meanwhile, place all ingredients for buffalo sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover slightly so it doesn’t splatter but steam can get out. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the butter has melted and sauce is heated through and sugar has dissolved.
- REST. Remove wings from the grill, and let rest a few minutes.
- TOSS. Toss wings in a large bowl with a little buffalo sauce. Add more sauce as desired then serve with remaining sauce on the side.
- Veggies like carrots and celery are always a great side for chicken wings.
- Serve your favorite dipping sauce on the side like blue cheese dressing, this Homemade Ranch Dressing is the best, or even this super popular Boom Sauce!
- For a full meal, a tossed salad or coleslaw would be a great side dish.
- A potato salad or pasta salad (like this Quick and Easy Pasta Salad would also be good.
- Chips or french fries are always a delicious option too.
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Let the chicken wings rest for just a few minutes after pulling them off the grill to let the juices settle.
- You might need to adjust the cooking time, depending on how small/large your wings are. Or use a meat thermometer and cook to 165 degrees F.
- Wings are so tiny that they can dry out quickly on the grill so be careful of grill flare-ups and overcooking them.
- Although I made the buffalo sauce in the microwave you can cook the sauce on the grill in a saucepan if you have the room or a side burner, or on your stovetop.
- I used Frank’s hot sauce in the buffalo sauce which I recommend, however, you are welcome to try your favorite hot sauce. Hot sauces vary A LOT so you may need to adjust the amount.
- Toss the wings with just a little sauce and add more as needed. No need to drench them with sauce. A little goes a long way!
Grilled Buffalo Wings FAQ
How should I store the wings?
Store any leftover wings covered in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze the wings?
Technically yes, you can freeze well wrapped raw or cooked chicken wings. The longer though they’re in the freezer, the more they may not taste as well or dry out.
How long will the wings last?
Cooked wings should last at least a few days in the refrigerator or longer if in the freezer. To reheat, you can heat up defrosted wings (or wings from the fridge) in the microwave or oven. The wings are at the best though right after cooking.
You can use your favorite seasoning combo on the wings before cooking them. Also, in the hot sauce, you can use your favorite sweetener and hot sauce. Results will vary a lot though if you make substitutions.
Can I use low-fat ingredients?
You can use a low-fat butter or margarine in the sauce.
What else can I add to this recipe?
You can add your favorite seasonings to the wings. Or add some other spices to the sauce. For a spicier sauce, add a little cayenne.
Can I make this vegan/vegetarian/low carb/gluten-free?
Here are some suggestions, but I can’t guarantee results. Be sure as always to check particular brands and ingredients if you’re following a specific diet or have diet restrictions or allergies.
Vegan – Nope, can’t do it.
Vegetarian – Nope, can’t do it.
Low-Carb – Substitute your favorite low carb sugar alternative in the sauce.
Gluten-Free – It should all be gluten-free but if check individual brands and ingredients such as the Worcestershire sauce.
Other Appetizer Recipes You May Enjoy
- Cold Spinach Dip – Would also be a great dip for the wings! But great for chips and veggies as well.
- Buffalo Pretzels – Another great snack option for parties.
- Chicken Parmesan Pinwheels – Delicious baked option for game days.
- Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball – A spicy cheese ball, delicious!
Hope you enjoy these Grilled Buffalo Wings. Tell me in the comments what you served them with!
Shop the Post:
Grilled Buffalo Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings split at the joint and tips removed if needed
- seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Generously sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder (or your favorite seasoning combo) on both sides of wings.
- Grill chicken wings about 4-6 minutes per side or until cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for buffalo sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover slightly so it doesn't splatter but steam can get out. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the butter has melted and sauce is heated through and sugar has dissolved.
- Remove wings from the grill, and let rest a few minutes.
- Toss wings in a large bowl with a little buffalo sauce. Add more sauce as desired then serve with remaining sauce on the side.