Fourth of July is only 3 weeks away, who’s ready? My kids are still in school until the 22nd so we’re having a hard time believing Fourth of July is right around the corner!! I made these adorable Red, White, & Blue Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches recently that would be perfect for Fourth of July or any of your summer events! Thanks to Wilton’s Ice Cream Sandwich Pan, the Red Velvet Brownies for these ice cream sandwiches were easy to make! The cream cheese vanilla ice cream has small chunks of strawberries and blueberries making this a fun red, white, and blue treat! One lucky reader will also win one of these great Ice Cream Sandwich Pans and more from Wilton!
What’s Fourth of July without a little ice cream?! These Red, White, & Blue Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches combine some of my favorites including red velvet, brownies, ice cream, and fresh fruit! The red velvet brownies were easy to make in Wilton’s Ice Cream Sandwich Pan. Be sure to spray the pan with nonstick spray or brush with some melted butter. I spread some melted butter on the pan, and the brownies popped right out with no problem!
Mix all your dry ingredients together for the brownies.
Then mix together all your wet ingredients.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients, then add some red food coloring. If you don’t like to use food coloring, just leave it out. Everything will taste just as great!
Put about 2 tablespoons of batter in each cavity and spread so that the batter is level. Be sure to not put too much batter in each cavity or it may overflow in the oven!
Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Right after you take the brownies out of the oven, turn the pan over above a cooling rack (shake the pan gently if necessary) and the brownies should pop out. If they don’t, carefully go around the edge with a blunt knife or toothpick to help loosen them up a bit and try again. Mine popped right out with no problems!
Meanwhile, make your ice cream! If you don’t have an ice cream maker or want to speed this part up a bit, use some store-bought vanilla ice cream and mix in a little cream cheese (what would red velvet be without a little cream cheese?) and some chopped up fruit. For the ice cream batter, I mixed up all my ingredients except the fruit and placed it in my ice cream maker for about 20 minutes (but follow the directions for your maker).
Then I mixed in some finely chopped strawberries and blueberries into the finished ice cream. Be sure to finely chop the fruit so that you don’t have big huge chunks of hard frozen fruit. Not fun to bite into! You could also smash the fruit with the back of a fork instead of chopping if you’d prefer.
To assemble, place a brownie on top of a piece of plastic wrap. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the ice cream on top, then top with another brownie. If the ice cream is too soft or runny, place it in a freezer friendly container for a few hours, before assembling the sandwiches. After you have assembled the sandwich, wrap it up in the plastic wrap and continue with the rest of the brownies and ice cream.
Freeze the sandwiches for a few hours or until the ice cream is set. Then let them thaw slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Now who wants to win one of these great pans??
SNAPPY GOURMET – WILTON GIVEAWAY:
(Check out my GIVEAWAY page regularly for more giveaways!)
Wilton has graciously offered to give one reader a 12-Cavity Ice Cream Sandwich Pan, a 6-Cavity Ice Cream Cookie Bowl Pan, and a 6-Mix Sprinkle Assortment. (Approximate retail value of prize is $29)
You have up to 11 chances to win so you can leave up to 11 comments (1 VALID comment = 1 entry). To enter, leave a SEPARATE comment for each entry using the comment form below on THIS blog post…
1) Leave a comment telling me what’s your favorite homemade summer dessert? (1 entry)
4) Leave a comment if you have posted about this giveaway with the link (http://snappygourmet.com/giveaways-enter-now/) on YOUR FACEBOOK page, YOUR TWITTER account, or if you pinned this giveaway to YOUR PINTEREST boards.
Include something like “I just entered to win a prize package from @snappygourmet & @WiltonCakes #giveaway http://snappygourmet.com/giveaways-enter-now/” . (1 entry each, no more than 3 total)
NOTE: COMMENTS MUST BE LEFT HERE ON THIS BLOG POST TO BE VALID! Comments left on Snappy Gourmet’s Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest page, sent by email, or anywhere else will NOT count and will not be entered in this giveaway. I will be using random.org to choose winning entry(ies). The number next to your comment here on this post is your entry number. If the comment(s) with those chosen number(s) are valid and follow all rules, they win, if not, new number(s) will be chosen.
Up to 11 entries per person (no automated entries or cheating allowed). Entries that are not valid and multiple entries will not be considered and will be thrown out when choosing winners. Each entry must be a separate comment and not a reply to a comment and not multiple entries within one comment. You must be 18 years or older and a United States Resident to enter. Prizes will be mailed to U.S. addresses only and can not be mailed to P.O. Boxes. Contest is void where prohibited by law. Giveaway is free to enter and no purchase is necessary. All entries must be received by Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 11:59pm EST.
Snappy Gourmet will choose a winner using Random.org based on the number of valid entries on or around June 28th, 2012. One prize per person. Winner will be notified by email and have 3 days to respond with their address before an alternate winner will be chosen and notified. Prize(s) may be sent by me or the sponsor of this giveaway.
Prize was supplied by Wilton. Snappy Gourmet received the above mentioned products to try but did not receive any other personal compensation. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
|Red, White, & Blue Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches||
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- red food coloring
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half & half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup finely chopped (or smashed) strawberries
- ½ cup finely chopped (or smashed) blueberries
- additional chopped strawberries and/or blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray Wilton 12-Cavity Ice Cream Sandwich Pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with melted butter.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. In separate large bowl, whisk together butter, ¾ cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in red food coloring a little at a time, until desired color.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into prepared pan and spread batter evenly.
- Bake brownies at 325 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Flip pan (shake gently if needed for brownies to come out) over onto cooling rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare ice cream. Whisk (or beat with electric mixer) together cream cheese and ½ cup sugar. Mix in cream and vanilla until well combined. Place in ice cream maker and make according to manufacturer’s directions. Stir in fruit during last minute or in separate bowl with finished ice cream.
- Place half of brownies on separate pieces of plastic wrap. Spoon about ¼ cup of ice cream on top of each then top with remaining brownies (Note: If ice cream is too soft to spoon on top of brownies, place ice cream in freezer friendly container and freeze several hours before filling between brownies). Garnish sides with additional chopped strawberries and/or blueberries if desired. Wrap up each sandwich in plastic wrap and place in freezer for several hours or until ice cream has set.
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. My recipes are original creations and owned by me unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy my recipes or pictures without my permission. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
Other Red Velvet recipes I thought you might enjoy:
- Red Velvet Cake Balls – Velveteen Baker
- Red Velvet Trifle – Recipe Girl
- Red Velvet Pancakes – Kitchen Konfidence