Easy Mint Chip Brownies recipe which combines one of my best homemade fudgey chocolate brownies and easy mint chip frosting!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Oh boy, I think you’re going to love me and hate me for this from scratch Mint Chip Brownies recipe! These brownies are sooo good that it may be hard to only have just one little one. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, haha! I do love brownies, and these are right up there at the top with my Chunky Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies and Turtle Brownies! I took one of my best brownie recipes and added a fun mint chip frosting for St. Patrick’s day and just because I love chocolate and mint together.
Instead of taking a bunch of step-by-step photos I took a video of everything (below) so you can see all the steps. But a few quick notes…
For the brownies, I melted together semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter. You could also use dark chocolate or bittersweet chips. You can melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler, or do the easy method which is what I did, and microwave in short intervals until melted and smooth. Cool completely before adding to the batter otherwise, you’ll end up with scrambled eggs.
You probably should mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl but I didn’t, so don’t tell anyone I took the “snappy” route. haha!
Bake the Mint Chip Brownies for about 30-35 minutes, but be sure to test with a toothpick and be careful not to overbake. Cool the brownies completely before frosting! You don’t want the frosting to melt and be soupy.
When the brownies are completely cooled (yes I know I just said that, but it’s really important), make the frosting. You may want to add more or less mint extract depending on how much you like mint.
For the chopped chocolate, I bought chocolate chunks (near the “chips”), and chopped them on a cutting board with a sharp knife. You could also use chocolate chips or mini chips but I personally like the small chunks. You could also chop up some chocolate bars (leftover holiday candy perhaps?).
The frosting recipe makes a lot of frosting! Ok maybe not THAT much, but it does make a nice good thick layer of frosting on the brownies. If you just want a really thin layer of frosting, cut the recipe in half. I loved the frosting so can’t imagine using less, but that’s just me, ha!
These homemade Mint Chip Brownies are rich and decadent, so small squares are probably best. But who am I kidding, big pieces would be great too.
To easily cut the brownies, put the pan in the refrigerator for a few hours if you can wait that long. Cut into 36 small squares or as big as you’d like.
Perfect dessert for St. Patrick’s Day or just because you like chocolate and mint too.
Here’s a quick video we took while making the Mint Chip Brownies…
Hope you enjoy this Mint Chip Brownies recipe as much as we did!
Mint Chip Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Mint Chip Frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 (16 oz.) bag powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring
- 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Place the 1 cup of butter and chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs and granulated sugar with a whisk or an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Beat cooled chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs and sugar until combined. Beat in baking powder, salt, and flour until just combined. Pour brownie batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake brownies for about 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Cool brownies completely.
- For frosting, beat together 3/4 cup softened butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Slowly add milk until frosting consistency. Beat in mint extract and desired amount of green food coloring until well combined. Stir in chocolate, then spread over cooled brownies.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure to cool the butter/chocolate completely after melting before adding to batter. Also be sure to cool the brownies completely before frosting. To easily cut the brownies into squares, refrigerate the brownies for a few hours.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of semi-sweet chocolate you could use dark chocolate or bittersweet.
Other mint recipes you may enjoy: