Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting are the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert. An easy homemade chocolate cake recipe for anytime of the year.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I came up with these “His & Hers” Valentine’s Day Chocolate Stout Cupcakes as I was thinking about a Valentine’s Day dessert. I’m not a huge Valentine’s Day fan, but I’m all for an excuse to make something with chocolate! Since my husband would much rather a beer, I thought I’d combine the two! If you liked my Pumpkin Ale Cupcakes with Streusel Cream Cheese Frosting from this fall, I’m sure you’ll love these Chocolate Stout Cupcakes. A cake mix, a chocolate stout or your favorite chocolate beer, and a few other simple ingredients, and you’ll have some decadent Chocolate Stout Cupcakes in no time! A perfect His & Hers treat for Valentine’s Day!
First thing I did was melt the butter with instant coffee in the microwave until the coffee dissolved.
Then I added the butter and coffee to the cake mix, beer, and eggs. As you can see I used a Pillsbury cake mix and Harpoon Chocolate Stout. If you use a different cake mix you may have to alter the liquids/ingredients a little based on the recipe on the box.
Stir until just combined. So rich and chocolatey! The beer gives the batter a nice flavor without overpowering it.
I used my ice cream scoop to divide the cake batter among the paper liners. Quick and easy!
Bake cupcakes according to package directions.
While the cupcakes are baking, beat together the frosting ingredients and pipe/frost as desired.
You may need a big glass of milk with these chocolate stout cupcakes or another beer! Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy!
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate stout/beer
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons chocolate stout/beer
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt butter and coffee granules together in microwave.
- Place cake mix, 1 1/4 cups stout, and eggs in large mixing bowl. Add butter and coffee and mix until just combined.
- Spoon cake batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, mix together cream cheese, butter, cocoa powder, stout, and unsweetened chocolate with electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Mix in powdered sugar until desired consistency. Frost cupcakes as desired.
SNAPPY TIPS: When making the frosting, be sure your butter and cream cheese is at room temperature and soft otherwise your frosting may get lumpy.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Any chocolate beer may be substituted for the chocolate stout.
Other cupcake recipes from around the internet that I thought you may enjoy: