Dipped Conversation Hearts Krispies Treats, an easy Valentine’s Day dessert recipe with rice krispies shaped into hearts and personal messages.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Dipped Conversation Hearts Krispies Treats recipe, just in time for a fun Valentine’s Day treat! Hope everyone survived the big game this weekend! As much as I love “football” food I’m ready to move on to Valentine’s Day starting with these super easy and cute Dipped Conversation Hearts Krispies Treats! They do take a bit of time to make but they are easy to make! Great way to create specialized messages for your special Valentines! Can Valentine’s Day really be next week?
To start with, make a batchof Rice Krispies Treats. I used the original Kellogg’s recipe from their website. I actually doubled the recipe right off the box and put it in a 10×15-inch jelly-roll pan that I had sprayed with nonstick spray. Let the Rice Krispies Treats sit for a little while until they’re firm enough to cut-out.
Using a heart-shaped cookie-cutter cut the Rice Krispies Treats out into any size you’d like. I used a heart that was about 2-inches. I also used the “scraps” to form more hearts.
I got about 3 dozen hearts out of the double batch, but depending on what size cookie-cutter you use, your yield will vary.
Place a skewer or lollipop stick in one of the Rice Krispies Treats. You probably only need a few skewers or sticks since you can reuse them for dipping. BUT if you want to keep them as “lollipops” leave them on the sticks and buy a bunch of sticks.
To coat the Rice Krispies Treats, I used different colors of Wilton Candy Melts and followed the directions on the bag to melt them. I melted each color one at a time in a large measuring cup in the microwave but you can use any microwave safe container. I would suggest something a little on the narrow and deep size for easy dipping.
If you are planning to dip a lot of Rice Krispies Treats in the same color I would also suggest using the double-boiler method rather than the microwave so that the candy melts stay melted and a thinner consistency for a longer period of time. If you melt the candy melts in the microwave it will start to cool rather quickly and get thick and clumpy making it harder to dip as you go along so you may have to reheat in the microwave several times.
Dip the Rice Krispies Treats all the way into the candy melts. You may have to dip a few times to make sure all sides are coated. Shake off any excess.
Place them on wax paper or parchment paper after they’ve been dipped. Don’t worry if they look a little sloppy we’re going to fix that! Remove the stick if you want. If you’re going to leave the sticks in, you can cool these standing up in a glass or stick them in a piece of styrofoam standing up.
If you don’t want to coat the entire Rice Krispies Treats you can just coat one side for a similar look.
Let the candy melts cool until set. Then you can trim the edges using a small sharp knife. You can also use your fingers to smooth out any rough spots. If your fingers are slightly warm, the candy melts should smooth out.
To write on the Rice Krispies Treats you can pipe chocolate or more of the candy melts. You could use a frosting or frosting gel (although some will not “harden”). I used these Americolor Food Marker Writers. Reviews are mixed on these markers and my feelings are also mixed. They seem to work best on lighter colors and best if you don’t press down on them but rather lightly glide them over the candy melts.
Aren’t they adorable??? They would be perfect for weddings, baby showers, or any special event where you may want specific colors and personalized messages!
Hope you and your Valentines enjoy!
Hope you enjoy!
Dipped Conversation Hearts Krispies Treats
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 (10 oz.) packages marshmallows
- 12 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- chocolate or candy melts melted
- food writing markers, frosting gel, or melted chocolate/candy melts
- Spray a 15x10-inch baking dish (or use any size pan you desire) with nonstick spray.
- In a very large saucepan over low heat, melt butter/margarine. Add marshmallows to pan and stir until everything is melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal to pan and mix until well coated. Evenly press cereal mixture into prepared pan (I like to put butter or nonstick cooking spray on my hands). Cool completely.
- Cut into desired shape. I cut into 2-inch hearts using a cookie cutter. Place a lollipop stick or skewer into one of the Krispies treats and dip into melted chocolate/candy melts. Shake off excess chocolate/candy.
- Place dipped Krispies treats on wax or parchment paper, remove stick (cover whole with additional chocolate/candy melts), then cool completely.
- Using a small sharp knife cut around edges and use your fingers to smooth edges. Using food writing markers, frosting gel, or melted chocolate/candy melts write messages on top of Krispies treats.
SNAPPY TIPS: You can use any size pan for desired thickness of Krispies treats.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Any flavor of Rice Krispies cereal may be used.
Rice Krispies Treats recipe source: http://www.ricekrispies.com/#/recipes/the-original-treats
A few other similar recipes from other sites that I thought you might enjoy: