Chocolate Cake Shot, an easy 2 ingredient alcohol shot. Decorate this simple cocktail drink with your favorite tasty toppings and serve for birthdays, at parties, or for a quick dessert!
This Chocolate Cake Shot is a tasty alcohol shot that is great for birthdays, parties, and dessert! Only 2 ingredients and lots of topping options to make a fun and creative cocktail. So quick to make too, it’s ready in no time.
I love coming up with fun cocktail recipes. It’s been a while since I’ve posted one!
Recently I came across a Chocolate Cake Shot with lemon, vodka, and hazelnut liqueur. Although delicious, I wanted to try something a little different.
This version has no lemon or hazelnut liqueur. Although you can certainly add a little hazelnut liqueur or other nut liqueur. Not sure I’d recommend the lemon though in this one.
Before someone comments, let me just say…
Yes, I measured this cocktail using tablespoons (I know some of you are rolling your eyes…). Yes, I realize that’s not how bartenders do it. I’m not a bartender and like to use teaspoons and tablespoons to make it easier for the home cook and to make it easier to make big batches for parties.
Like I mentioned, only two ingredients in this delicious cocktail shot.
(Full printable recipe card is at bottom of post.)
Chocolate Cake Shot Ingredients
- Chocolate liqueur – such as Godiva original or your favorite chocolate-flavored liqueur or cream liqueur.
- Cake flavored vodka – such as Pinnacle Vodka.
- Toppings (optional) – have some fun with the toppings and decorating the shot glass rim if you’d like. Some great options are whipped cream (original or chocolate), cake frosting, sprinkles, and/or cake crumbs.
How to Make Chocolate Cake Shots
- COMBINE. Stir chocolate and cake liqueurs together in a shot glass.
- TOPPINGS. Decorate the shot glass rim and top of shot as desired with optional toppings.
If you prefer you can add the liqueurs to a shaker with ice, shake, and strain into a shot glass. Or can make a big batch of this and pour into individual shot glasses.
- You can serve this cocktail at room temperature or cold.
- Instead of using shot glasses, you can serve in a martini glass for a fun cocktail.
- There are so many possibilities for how to rim the shot glass and toppings, so feel free to get creative!
- You can also make a big pitcher of this drink, and let guests decorate their own glass and pour themselves a cocktail for a fun DIY option. This Peppermint Whipped Cream would be a great topping too.
- This cocktail shot would be great with a fun cake like this Chocolate Brownie Cake or Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake!
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Use chocolate and cake liqueurs you like. If you don’t like them, chances are you’re not going to like them together as a shot or cocktail.
- Toppings are a personal preference, so again, choose toppings you like.
- You can add other liqueurs as well such as Frangelico, Kahlua, or even Amaretto or substitute them for a little of the chocolate liqueur.
- If you’re planning to drink this as a shot (as in one big gulp), I’d recommend not using large toppings such as whole cherries or maraschino cherries, so that it’s not a choking hazard.
Chocolate Cake Shots FAQ
How should I store the shots?
These shots are best right after prepared but you could store leftovers or make a big batch ahead of time and store in the fridge.
How long will the shots last?
You could make a big batch and store the drink in the fridge for a few days at least.
You could substitute a little of the chocolate liqueur for a nut liqueur (such as Frangelico or Amaretto) or a coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua)
What else can I add to this recipe?
As I mentioned above you could add your favorite nut or coffee liqueur. For a creamier version, you could add a little heavy cream, half & half, or your favorite cream substitute.
Can I make this vegan/vegetarian/low carb/gluten-free?
Here are some suggestions, but I can’t guarantee results. Be sure as always to check particular brands and ingredients if you’re following a specific diet or have diet restrictions or allergies.
Vegan – The liqueurs should be vegan but be sure to check individual brands and use vegan-friendly toppings.
Vegetarian – The liqueurs should be vegetarian but be sure to check individual brands and use vegetarian-friendly toppings.
Low-Carb – Be sure to use low carb toppings or skip the toppings all together.
Gluten-Free – Double check individual brands of liqueurs and individual toppings.
Other Cocktail Recipes You May Enjoy
- Better Than Sex Caketini (Snappy Gourmet) – Fun cocktail based on the popular pineapple and coconut cake.
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Marini (Snappy Gourmet) – Perfect pumpkin martini for fall.
- Frozen Mudslide (Small Town Woman) – Delicious frozen drink with vodka, Irish Cream, and Kahlua.
- Banana Cream Pie Cocktail (The Spruce Eats) – Inspired by the popular pie.
Hope you enjoy this Chocolate Cake Shot. Tell me in the comments what toppings you used.
You might also like this delicious frozen Pink Squirrel ice cream cocktail!
Chocolate Cake Shot
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate liqueur (such as Godiva original)
- 1 Tablespoon cake flavored vodka (such as Pinnacle Vodka)
- Toppings (optional): whipped cream (original or chocolate), cake frosting, sprinkles, and/or cake crumbs.
- Stir chocolate and cake liqueurs together in shot glass.
- Decorate the shot glass rim and top of shot as desired with optional toppings.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
I LOVE how you measure for drinks!!!! works great for me. and i love the cute little shot glasses!
Priya Lakshminarayan says
OMG yes please! Would love to have these shots…they look so good
Neli Howard says
Oh my gosh, how genius is this!? And your photography is amazing. I can’t believe it’s just 2 ingredients. It should definitely be on my birthday soon.
I love it when I find something that looks good and I have all of the ingredients. This is such a fun shot to make and so tasty!!
Beth Sachs says
I’ve never heard of cake flavoured vodka before. This sounds amazing!