Chocolate Cake Shot, an easy 2 ingredient alcohol shot. Decorate this simple cocktail drink with your favorite tasty toppings and serve for birthdays, at parties, or for a quick dessert!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
This Chocolate Cake Shot is a tasty alcohol shot that is great for birthdays, parties, and dessert! Only 2 ingredients and lots of topping options to make a fun and creative cocktail. So quick to make too, it’s ready in no time.
I love coming up with fun cocktail recipes. It’s been a while since I’ve posted one!
Recently I came across a Chocolate Cake Shot with lemon, vodka, and hazelnut liqueur. Although delicious, I wanted to try something a little different.
This version has no lemon or hazelnut liqueur. Although you can certainly add a little hazelnut liqueur or other nut liqueur. Not sure I’d recommend the lemon though in this one.
Before someone comments, let me just say…
Yes, I measured this cocktail using tablespoons (I know some of you are rolling your eyes…). Yes, I realize that’s not how bartenders do it. I’m not a bartender and like to use teaspoons and tablespoons to make it easier for the home cook and to make it easier to make big batches for parties.
Like I mentioned, only two ingredients in this delicious cocktail shot.
(Full printable recipe card is at bottom of post.)
Chocolate Cake Shot Ingredients
- Chocolate liqueur – such as Godiva original or your favorite chocolate-flavored liqueur or cream liqueur.
- Cake flavored vodka – such as Pinnacle Vodka.
- Toppings (optional) – have some fun with the toppings and decorating the shot glass rim if you’d like. Some great options are whipped cream (original or chocolate), cake frosting, sprinkles, and/or cake crumbs.
How to Make Chocolate Cake Shots
- COMBINE. Stir chocolate and cake liqueurs together in a shot glass.
- TOPPINGS. Decorate the shot glass rim and top of shot as desired with optional toppings.
If you prefer you can add the liqueurs to a shaker with ice, shake, and strain into a shot glass. Or can make a big batch of this and pour into individual shot glasses.
- You can serve this cocktail at room temperature or cold.
- Instead of using shot glasses, you can serve in a martini glass for a fun cocktail.
- There are so many possibilities for how to rim the shot glass and toppings, so feel free to get creative!
- You can also make a big pitcher of this drink, and let guests decorate their own glass and pour themselves a cocktail for a fun DIY option. This Peppermint Whipped Cream would be a great topping too.
- This cocktail shot would be great with a fun cake like this Chocolate Brownie Cake or Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake!
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Use chocolate and cake liqueurs you like. If you don’t like them, chances are you’re not going to like them together as a shot or cocktail.
- Toppings are a personal preference, so again, choose toppings you like.
- You can add other liqueurs as well such as Frangelico, Kahlua, or even Amaretto or substitute them for a little of the chocolate liqueur.
- If you’re planning to drink this as a shot (as in one big gulp), I’d recommend not using large toppings such as whole cherries or maraschino cherries, so that it’s not a choking hazard.
Chocolate Cake Shots FAQ
How should I store the shots?
These shots are best right after prepared but you could store leftovers or make a big batch ahead of time and store in the fridge.
How long will the shots last?
You could make a big batch and store the drink in the fridge for a few days at least.
You could substitute a little of the chocolate liqueur for a nut liqueur (such as Frangelico or Amaretto) or a coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua)
What else can I add to this recipe?
As I mentioned above you could add your favorite nut or coffee liqueur. For a creamier version, you could add a little heavy cream, half & half, or your favorite cream substitute.
Can I make this vegan/vegetarian/low carb/gluten-free?
Here are some suggestions, but I can’t guarantee results. Be sure as always to check particular brands and ingredients if you’re following a specific diet or have diet restrictions or allergies.
Vegan – The liqueurs should be vegan but be sure to check individual brands and use vegan-friendly toppings.
Vegetarian – The liqueurs should be vegetarian but be sure to check individual brands and use vegetarian-friendly toppings.
Low-Carb – Be sure to use low carb toppings or skip the toppings all together.
Gluten-Free – Double check individual brands of liqueurs and individual toppings.
Other Cocktail Recipes You May Enjoy
- Better Than Sex Caketini (Snappy Gourmet) – Fun cocktail based on the popular pineapple and coconut cake.
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Marini (Snappy Gourmet) – Perfect pumpkin martini for fall.
- Frozen Mudslide (Small Town Woman) – Delicious frozen drink with vodka, Irish Cream, and Kahlua.
- Banana Cream Pie Cocktail (The Spruce Eats) – Inspired by the popular pie.
Hope you enjoy this Chocolate Cake Shot. Tell me in the comments what toppings you used.
Shop the Post:
You might also like this delicious frozen Pink Squirrel ice cream cocktail!
Chocolate Cake Shot
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate liqueur (such as Godiva original)
- 1 Tablespoon cake flavored vodka (such as Pinnacle Vodka)
- Toppings (optional): whipped cream (original or chocolate), cake frosting, sprinkles, and/or cake crumbs.
- Stir chocolate and cake liqueurs together in shot glass.
- Decorate the shot glass rim and top of shot as desired with optional toppings.