Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole, an easy chicken pasta casserole dinner recipe that is family friendly and also a great freezer friendly meal! This easy homemade casserole is full of pasta, chicken, ham, and an easy cheese Chicken Cordon Bleu sauce.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole, an easy family friendly meal and comfort food for anytime of the year! It’s also a great make ahead meal, freezer friendly meal, potluck dish, and meal to help a family/friend in need. The best for picky eaters as well. My Easy Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta is also another easy chicken pasta casserole recipe you may enjoy.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
If you’ve never heard of Chicken Cordon Bleu, it generally refers to chicken wrapped around a cheese and ham filling. It’s then breaded and pan-fried, deep-fried, or sometimes even baked.
There are many variations of the dish. Sometimes different types of meats, cheeses, and fillings are used.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole is a baked pasta and casserole all in one! It’s a fun twist on the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu dish. This casserole is full of comfort including chicken, ham, pasta, and of course lots of cheesy goodness in an easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Sauce.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole?
Let’s get started!
Start by preheating your oven.
Next, start making your pasta according to the package directions for “al dente” pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Then when it’s all well combined, slowly whisk in the milk or cream. Cream will give you a thicker richer sauce, but if you’re looking for a lower fat option, milk will work.
Cook the mixture while stirring until it has thickened slightly and bubbly. Add the cheese, mustard, salt, garlic, and pepper and stir until smooth.
Stir in the chicken and ham to the sauce. The chicken should be precooked. Leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken works well.
Drain the pasta and add to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
Spoon the pasta mixture into a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top of the Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole with bread crumbs then drizzle the butter over the top of the bread crumbs.
Bake the pasta casserole for about 25 to 35 minutes or until it’s bubbly and the bread crumbs look toasted and golden brown. Everything is cooked so you don’t need to cook that long.
The casserole is going to be HOT so let it cool a bit before serving.
I don’t have any prep photos but this casserole is super easy and also a great way to use leftover chicken and ham. Have any leftover ham from Easter in the back of your freezer?? :)
How to Make A Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
Not eating pasta or looking for a low carb Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole?
Instead of pasta, you could easily substitute precooked spaghetti squash. You could also use lower carb or gluten-free pastas.
I haven’t tried zucchini noodle, but I bet they would work well also.
You could also add some veggies to the casserole like chopped onions and/or bell peppers, precooked sliced mushrooms, peas, or even chopped slightly precooked broccoli would be great.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole?
Wondering what sides would be good with this?
I like to serve this easy chicken pasta casserole with a green vegetable like green beans or broccoli. A fresh salad is also a great option.
My Italian Green Beans would also be great Chicken Cordon Bleu sides.
Check out this quick video to see how easy this Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole comes together…
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (or heavy cream)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian blend)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 2 cups chopped precooked chicken
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour. When well combined, slowly whisk in milk (or cream). Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add Swiss, mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese, mustard, salt, garlic, and pepper until cheese is well melted. Stir in ham and chicken.
- Add drained pasta to cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour into an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs. Lightly drizzle melted butter over bread crumbs.
- Bake pasta at 350 degrees F for about 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and bread crumbs are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.