Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole, an easy baked pasta casserole dinner recipe that is family friendly and also a great freezer friendly meal!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole, an easy family friendly meal and comfort food for anytime of the year! It’s also a great make ahead meal, freezer friendly meal, potluck dish, and meal to help a family/friend in need. Speaking of comfort food and helping people,
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole is a baked pasta and casserole all in one! Full of comfort including chicken, ham, pasta, and of course lots of cheesy goodness!
I don’t have any prep photos but this casserole is super easy and also a great way to use leftover chicken and ham. Have any leftover ham from Easter in the back of your freezer?? :)
You could also add some veggies like chopped onions and/or bell peppers, precooked sliced mushrooms, peas, or even chopped slightly precooked broccoli would be great.
Hope you enjoy!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (or heavy cream)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian blend)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 2 cups chopped precooked chicken
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour. When well combined, slowly whisk in milk (or cream). Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add Swiss, mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese, mustard, salt, garlic, and pepper until cheese is well melted. Stir in ham and chicken.
- Add drained pasta to cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour into an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs. Lightly drizzle melted butter over bread crumbs.
- Bake pasta at 350 degrees F for about 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and bread crumbs are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
SNAPPY TIPS: It may take a little while for the cheese sauce to come together so keep stirring or whisking.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: I just used fat free milk but you could use any milk or heavy cream. Substitute your favorite melting cheese for the Swiss or mozzarella.