How to make shredded chicken at home that is easy and made right on the stovetop! The best healthy chicken breast that is perfect in sandwiches, enchiladas, and many other meals and recipes!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Simple recipe for you today! This homemade shredded chicken (AKA pulled chicken) recipe comes in handy for a wide variety of other recipes and meals. The pulled chicken would be great in my Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, Chicken Enchilada Dip, and Chicken Greek Salad Wrap Sandwich just to give you a quick few ideas.
The possibilities are endless. ENDLESS for this pulled chicken!
YES you could just buy a rotisserie chicken and chop it up or shred it. However, sometimes that’s not always possible. Plus, if you ever have some boneless skinless chicken breasts and not sure what to do, this is perfect.
How to Make Shredded Chicken:
There are lots of shredded chicken recipes out there. Some use a slow cooker, some boil the chicken, some roast the chicken in the oven, and I’m sure there are other methods out there as well.
I used to immerse the chicken breasts in a lot of water, bring to a boil, then simmer the chicken for a while. Although that works ok, it can tend to result in some rubbery chicken if you’re not careful.
Now I do this stovetop method which I like A LOT better.
To start, add chicken broth to a pan along with boneless skinless chicken breasts so that the chicken is not completely covered with liquid.
Put the cover on the pan so the chicken can steam a bit as well and let it simmer for about 45-60 minutes. This method doesn’t seem to result in rubbery chicken (in my opinion…) as long as you’re careful that the broth is simmering and NOT boiling.
Once the chicken is done, let it cool slightly then put the chicken on a large cutting board. Ever wonder how to shred chicken? Shredding chicken is easy once you get the hang of it.
Using two forks, have one fork hold the chicken, and the other pull the chicken away and the chicken should shred easily. And now you should have a big pile of pulled chicken!
You can also chop the shredded chicken with a knife if you prefer smaller pieces. Or check out these shredder claws.
Shredded Chicken Breast Recipes:
Shredded chicken comes in handy for a variety of recipes. You can even bag it and freeze it flat to use later. Here are some quick and easy ideas…
- Chicken salad
- BBQ chicken sandwiches
- Mexican (enchiladas, tacos, nachos, and burritos)
- Italian sandwiches (add some tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and top with some cheese)
- Pot Pies
- Soups and stews
- Pasta dishes
- Pizza (great for BBQ chicken pizza)
- Asian (egg rolls and lettuce wraps)
Do you have more ideas? Would love to hear!
Hope you enjoy this quick and easy tutorial for how to make shredded chicken!
How To Make Shredded Chicken
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan. Add chicken so that chicken is in single layer. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low to simmer leaving lid on pan.
- Cook about 45-60 minutes, turning chicken over about halfway through cooking. Turn heat off and let steam with lid on about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place on large cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken and use as desired.