Buffalo Shrimp Grilled Cheese sandwich recipe with buffalo shrimp, Frank’s hot sauce, blue cheese, monterrey jack cheese, and vegetables.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Buffalo Shrimp Grilled Cheese, yet another buffalo recipe for my buffalo addiction. I wonder if they have therapy for those of us addicted to “buffalo” anything and everything??? This Buffalo Shrimp Grilled Cheese was SO good!! You could easily substitute chicken or could probably omit the meat all together and add more veggies if you’re a vegetarian.
My apologies to those of you rolling your eyes and thinking “oh great, ANOTHER buffalo recipe!”. For those of you sick of my buffalo recipes, don’t worry, new ideas coming next week. For those of you lovin’ my buffalo recipes, I hope you enjoy this one as much as my others including my ever popular Buffalo Shrimp Bread Bowl Dip, Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, and my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese.
This sandwich is super easy to make! I know there are a lot of “buffalo” sandwiches and grilled cheese out there. I wanted to make a shrimp version and make more of a “salad” filling. To start, mix your mayo (or yogurt), hot sauce, and seasoning together. You could also use Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing instead of mayo or yogurt. Then add your cheeses, veggies (any combination of chopped carrots, celery, and red onion), and precooked shrimp. You could use any kind of shredded cheese or even lowfat cheese as long as it’s a good melting cheese.
You could also substitute precooked chopped or shredded chicken instead of shrimp. I precooked my shrimp but you could definitely buy the shrimp already cooked. Or skip the meat all together and add some extra veggies for a Buffalo Veggie Grilled Cheese! The sandwich is great hot and grilled, or skip the oven all together and eat it cold like a shrimp salad.
If you choose to grill, lightly butter one side of all your bread slices, then start making your sandwiches by spooning the filling in between the bread. Make sure the buttered sides are on the outside. :)
Once you have your sandwiches assembled they only take a few minutes per side to cook. I cooked these Buffalo Shrimp Grilled Cheese sandwiches over medium-high heat on my preheated cast iron griddle top but you could use any kind of pan or even a panini maker! You could also just stick these sandwiches in your toaster oven or oven to cook them.
You want to cook these sandwiches a few minuter per side or until golden brown. Oh my goodness, I’m getting so hungry just writing this post and looking at these pictures!
That’s it! Dinner in about 15 minutes or less! I served these with some extra veggie sticks and some fruit.
My family gobbled these up and I hope your family does too!
Hope you enjoy!
Buffalo Shrimp Grilled Cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or plain yogurt)
- 2-4 tablespoons buffalo hot sauce (such as Frank's)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped vegetables (any combination of carrots, celery, and/or red onion)
- 12 ounces cooked small or medium shrimp (or 16 oz. raw shrimp and cook yourself)
- 8 slices good quality bread
- unsalted butter (or margarine)
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise (or yogurt), hot sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and salt/pepper until combined. Mix in Monterrey Jack cheese, blue cheese, vegetables, and shrimp.
- Place bread out on work surface. Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Spoon shrimp filling onto half of the slices of bread and top with another slice of bread (buttered side out).
- Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
SNAPPY TIPS: You can cook these sandwiches in a skillet, panini maker, or even in the oven or toaster oven.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: There are a lot of substitution possibilities! Use any kind of shredded cheese (regular or lowfat) as long as it is a good melting cheese. You can substitute chopped/shredded precooked chicken for the shrimp or skip the meat and add extra veggies. You can use yogurt or Ranch/blue cheese dressing for the mayo.
Other Buffalo recipes from the internet you may like: