Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas, a quick and easy family-friendly dinner or fun appetizer with tropical flare!
I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe for these Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas, but my kids loved them so much that I couldn’t resist taking a few quick pics and posting. My apologies for the bad late night photos, but the quesadillas are REALLY good I swear! You know I love Mexican inspired food even when it’s not authentic like my Mexican Chocolate Shots and my Mexican Macaroni & Cheese just to name a few! These shrimp quesadillas aren’t authentic whatsover I’m sure, but still tasty and fun!
There are lots of variations you could do for these quesadillas or any quesadilla for that matter. Feel free to change up the ingredients and/or quantities of the ingredients. You really don’t need exact quantities for the ingredients.
Seafood quesadillas are delicious so if you’re not a shrimp kind of person you could substitute your favorite cooked fish, crab, or lobster.
If you’re not a fish or seafood kind of person, chicken or ham would also be great. I like to cook my own shrimp and add a little Caribbean Jerk seasoning, but you could buy the shrimp precooked and add your favorite seasoning.
So for these fun Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas along with the shrimp, I also added finely chopped pineapple, red onion, and cilantro.
Of course there’s also cheese! I like shredded Monterey Jack cheese, but you could use your favorite Mexican blend or a mild white cheddar. I would avoid really sharp cheddar and sharp cheeses because won’t be able to taste the shrimp.
Once you assemble the shrimp quesadillas the way you want them, cook the quesadillas for just a few minutes per side on a grill preheated to medium. It doesn’t matter if it’s a gas or charcoal grill. Any kind of grill is fine.
Be careful when flipping the quesadillas because they can come apart and make a mess so just make sure you have a big spatula. The bigger the spatula, the better!
Making the quesadillas right on the grill grates give them a nice crunch and flavor, but if you don’t have a grill or don’t want to grill you could also use something like these quesadilla makers. If you are using a grill and concerned about them coming apart, you can put the quesadillas into something like a quesadilla basket which is kind of cool!
Eat your Grilled Shrimp Quesadilla with all your favorite toppings like guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce. I also like to serve with lime wedges. Of course margaritas are also nice to serve with these easy shrimp quesadillas! haha!
These easy shrimp quesadilla recipe couldn’t be easier. Actually, my son made this quick video to show all the steps (which should be below)…
Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas Recipe
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (or Mexican Blend)
- 12 large precooked shrimp chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Caribbean Jerk seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, and lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Place 4 tortillas on a large cutting board or work surface. Sprinkle half of cheese on top.
- In small bowl mix together shrimp and Caribbean seasoning. Spoon on top of tortillas and cheese.
- Spoon pineapple, red onion, and cilantro over tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of filling then top with remaining tortillas.
- Grill quesadillas about 2-3 minutes per side or until browned and crispy. Cut into wedges and serve with your favorite toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, and lime wedges..
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
Other Mexican inspired recipes you may enjoy:
- Crispy “Fried” Ice Cream – Snappy Gourmet
- Ultimate Chicken Nachos – A Gouda Life
- Taco Salad – Wholsome Yum
- Mexican Corn on the Cob – Cook the Story