Shrimp & Veggie Egg Drop Soup an easy healthy Chinese soup recipe with bok choy, mushrooms, eggs, and shrimp.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Shrimp & Veggie Egg Drop Soup, an easy healthy Chinese soup recipe! Whenever I get Egg Drop Soup, I always tell myself I should start making it more often at home. I used to make Egg Drop Soup all the time, then not sure what happened. The basic recipe is usually just broth and eggs and maybe some seasonings or green onions. You can make Egg Drop Soup in no time! It’s a very quick and easy recipe and perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
I decided to take the basic Egg Drop Soup recipe and make it a little more gourmet adding shrimp, mushrooms, and bok choy. You can add any kind of vegetables or proteins you like. It would be a great way to use up leftover chopped chicken or any vegetables you have on hand.
I have to admit this was probably the first (or close to first) time I’ve ever bought and cooked fresh bok choy at home. I think I’m hooked! It’s really easy to prepare and would be a great addition to many stews, soups, and other dishes. Be sure to separately the stalks and clean them all well though because they can be a little sandy.
Make a big batch of this soup and freeze in small containers for an easy meal anytime!
Shrimp & Veggie Egg Drop Soup
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 head of bok choy leaves & stalks chopped separately (about 6 cups total)
- 1 (16 oz.) package mushrooms (such as baby bella), sliced
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 pounds (small or medium) frozen shrimp; defrosted, peeled, & deveined
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (optional)
- Garnish (optional): sliced green onion
- Place chicken broth in large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add bok choy stalks and mushrooms (do not add bok choy leaves until later). Cook about 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are nearly soft. Add bok choy leaves.
- Slowly pour beaten eggs into soup to form long strands of egg. Then add shrimp and cook about 2-4 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through. Add ginger and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you would like soup a thicker consistency, whisk cornstarch and about 1/2 cup of cold water together in small bowl until well combined. Slowly whisk into soup until desired consistency.
- Garnish soup with green onion if desired before serving.
SNAPPY TIPS: Make sure you have all your ingredients chopped and ready before you start because this soup comes together quick.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Use any kind of vegetables you’d like instead of bok choy and mushrooms. Carrots, onions, corn, etc would all work well. You can also omit the shrimp and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version or add a different protein such as chopped leftover chicken.