Matcha Tea Smoothie, homemade smoothie recipe with green tea and yogurt. Start your day off with this drink or smoothie bowl, or for an afternoon snack.
Use your favorite matcha tea or any variety of tea for this easy homemade Matcha Smoothie. I used a Matcha tea blend, but you can use a real green tea and get a green colored smoothie if you prefer. Either way, this smoothie is simple to make and makes a great drink, snack, or breakfast!
I’m not much of a tea drinker, but do love using different types of tea in drinks and baked goods! I used a Matcha tea blend for this smoothie, but you could use your favorite matcha tea or any type of tea really.
Matcha Smoothie Ingredients
- Ice cubes
- Honey (or sweetener of choice)
How to Make a Matcha Smoothie
- Place all the ingredients, including the cooled tea, in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add more honey if desired for a sweeter smoothie.
- Add more liquid as needed to get the blender to process or scrape down the sides inside of the blender (turn off blender before doing this…) if needed.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and serve.
(Full printable recipe card is at bottom of post.)
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Use a brand and type of tea you like. I like to use almond milk or coconut milk instead of water when making a smoothie with tea.
- Use a strong blender that can cut through the ice and make a creamy smooth smoothie.
- Use your favorite sweetener or omit entirely for a healthier version.
- Use a thick creamy yogurt like unsweetened plain Greek yogurt for a great consistency in your smoothie.
Matcha Smoothie FAQ
How should I store this Matcha smoothie?
I would suggest drinking this smoothie right after making. However, if you really need to make ahead or store the leftovers, pour the smoothie in an ice cube tray, freeze, then pop out the cubes into a cup and defrost in the refrigerator.
Can I use something other than yogurt?
I like to use plain unsweetened Greek yogurt, but you could use your favorite type of yogurt or even frozen sliced banana or cottage cheese.
What kind of tea should I use?
Any type of tea can be substituted, but just make sure it’s one you like! I like to steep the tea bags in almond milk or coconut milk rather than water when making a smoothie. Cool the tea completely before adding to the blender.
What else can I add to this smoothie?
For a green smoothie or more veggies, add some kale and/or spinach. Fruit like berries, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, or banana would also be great. Your usual smoothie additions like protein powder or chia seeds would also work well.
Can I make this into a smoothie bowl?
Yes, definitely! Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add your favorite toppings like berries, nuts, oats, granola, etc.
Other Smoothie Recipes You May Enjoy
- Kale Apple Smoothie – full of fruit and veggies if you want a healthy way to start your day!
- Peaches & Cream Smoothie – perfect for peach lovers!
- Green Spinach Celery Smoothie Bowl – lots of green goodness!
And check out this great list of other smoothie recipes.
Hope you enjoy this Matcha Smoothie. Tell me in the comment what tea you used!
For some other great breakfast options check out these Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins or Almond Flour Pancakes! You might also like these other great Snappy Gourmet smoothie recipes: Carrot Smoothie, Mango Smoothie, and Orange Smoothie.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 cup prepared Matcha tea (strongly prepared in unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth, pour into a glass, and serve immediately.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
Kathryn Donangelo says
I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’ve never had matcha but it sounds delicious and the yogurt makes it so creamy. Adding this to my list of recipes to make, thank you!
This looks so refreshing and tasty! My daughter is going to love this recipe! I can’t wait to show her this!
This match smoothie sounds like a delicious way to start the day!
This looks like a perfect breakfast or afternoon snack! Can’t wait to give it a try!
Love the idea of tea in a smoothie! I would have never thought of that but now I kind feel I wanna try it??
Looks tasty and it has lots of nutrition, thanks for sharing. Pete