(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Homemade Vanilla Roasted Walnut Butter, an easy sugar-free homemade nut butter recipe you can make in no time. Ever wonder how to make homemade peanut butter or homemade nut butters that can be really expensive at the grocery store? Homemade nut butters are great to make at home and think of the possiblities… almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, pistachio butter, hazelnut butter, macadamia butter, and of course walnut butter! I like to make a healthy nut butter with no sugar or salt, but you could definitely add some. You do need a food processor though for best results. So pull out your food processor and make yourself a big batch of homemade nut butters!
To make this Cinnamon Vanilla Roasted Walnut Butter recipe, I started with roasted walnuts, but you don’t have to roast them. Once you have your nuts, all you have to do is put them in the food processor and keep pulsing until the consistency changes. The walnut butter (and any homemade nut butter) can take awhile so don’t be alarmed if it takes 5-10 minutes or more.
Be sure to stop your food processor every 30 seconds or so and scrape down the sides. Then just add your favorite spices and flavorings. I added cinnamon and vanilla extract. You can also add salt and sweeteners (honey, sugar, maple syrup, or even a sugar substitute) if you’d like, but I like sugar-free nut butters. Sugar free peanut butter is delicious too and a healthy peanut butter version that your kids will still love.
That’s it! Now you have your very own homemade nut butter! How long can you store homemade nut butters you may be wondering. It depends on how old your nuts are, but the nut butter could easily last in your refrigerator for a few months.
Hope you enjoy!
Homemade Cinnamon Vanilla Roasted Walnut Butter
- 16 ounces walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes, remove from oven and stir. Repeat until toasted and dark brown be careful not to overbake and burn; approximately 8-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place cooled nuts, vanilla, and cinnamon into food processor. Process until nearly smooth or desired consistency. Stop every 30 seconds or so to scrape down sides.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator for up to a few months.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be patient while the nuts are in the food processor. It can take awhile for it to get to the right consistency. You can also add salt or a sweetener (sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.) to the nut butter recipe. You can add a little oil or water to thin the consistency if you'd like.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You can substitute any kind of nut for the walnuts.
Other recipes with walnuts I thought you might enjoy…
- Beet & Bean Salad Crostini – Snappy Gourmet
- Spiced Maple & Black Sesame Walnuts – Chew Town
- Apple Walnut Cake – Taste of Lizzy T’s