Crack Bars, also known as Chocolate Peanut Butter Toffee Crackers or Graham Cracker Toffee, are highly addictive and an easy dessert and cracker candy recipe! These crack bars are made with chocolate graham crackers, an easy homemade toffee, peanut butter chips, peanuts, and chocolate chips.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
This Crack Bars recipe is fabulous! And don’t worry, there is no crack or drugs in these I swear! I was going to name these Chocolate Peanut Butter Toffee Crackers or Graham Cracker Toffee but these Crack Bars are so highly addictive because they are THAT good that we nicknamed them Crack Bars! I also have a “fall version”, Butterscotch Apple Toffee Bars as well as Coconut Crack Bars. Both great alternatives too!
You may know I love chocolate and peanut butter (like my Chocolate Peanut Butter Magic Bars and Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cookie Poppers just to name a few!) and these Crack Bars are the perfect addition to my recipe box!
I’ve been seeing lots and lots of recipes lately for cracker toffee or toffee crackers or whatever you want to call it. I’m sure you’ve seen it too. Ritz crackers or saltines topped with a butter sugar toffee than melted chocolate chips.
There is also Graham Cracker Toffee which is like the Ritz or saltines but with graham crackers, like these Crack Bars with the chocolate graham crackers.
You usually see these cracker type bars around the holidays and Christmas but I couldn’t wait that long and wanted to add my own twist, so chocolate and peanut butter it was!
Instead of Ritz or saltine crackers I decided to use chocolate graham crackers. Don’t you love chocolate graham crackers? They were perfect for this chocolate toffee bark like recipe.
After the toffee layer (brown sugar and butter) I added peanut butter chips and chopped salted peanuts (can’t beat a sweet and salty dessert!), then the chocolate chips.
An offset spatula makes spreading the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips MUCH easier and I highly recommend getting one if you don’t already have one.
These Crack Bars are sweet and salty. They would also make a great birthday, holiday/Christmas, or anytime gift in a cute tin or container.
My sweet son made a video for these Crack Bars so you can see how they’re made from beginning to end. (If all goes well it should be right below this…)
The Crack Bars don’t take a long time to make but you do need to refrigerate the bars for a little while after for the chocolate to set. I put them in the fridge for about an hour but you could put the bars in the freezer to speed things up a little.
This Crack Bars recipe is so versatile. Add your favorite chips, crackers, or toppings! One quick note though. Don’t overdo it with the chopped toppings (like the nuts). The top layer (melted chocolate chips) needs to be able to stick a little to the bottom layer through the topping or the chocolate topping will fall off the bars after cooled.
Hope you enjoy these delicious and easy Crack Bars or by their other name….Chocolate Peanut Butter Toffee Crackers!
Crack Bars Recipe
- 6-8 chocolate graham crackers
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2/3 cups coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 9x9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Place crackers in single layer of pan to cover the whole bottom. Break the crackers as necessary to fit.
- Spread brown sugar on the bottom of a small saucepan. Cut butter into about 8 slices and place on top of sugar. Place pan on top of medium-high heat and without stirring bring to a boil. Let boil about 2-4 minutes or until smooth and brown in color.
- Pour toffee mixture (sugar and butter) over graham crackers and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Bake for about 5 minutes at 425 degrees F to set.
- Sprinkle peanut butter chips evenly over crackers and place back in oven for about 2 minutes or until chips start to melt. Remove from oven and spread chips evenly over crackers.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and gently press into the smooth peanut butter chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over nuts and place back in oven for about 2 minutes or until chocolate chips start to melt. Spread chocolate evenly over nuts. Cool.
- Place in refrigerator for about an hour or until chocolate sets. Break or cut into pieces.
SNAPPY TIPS: If bars aren't completely cool before placing in the refrigerator place on a trivet. To expedite cooling you could also place bars in freezer.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: I have only used real unsalted butter in this recipe. Substituting margarine or anything else may have different results. Instead of semi sweet chocolate chips you could use dark chocolate.
Do yo like chocolate and peanut butter as much as I do? Check out these other yummy looking chocolate and peanut butter treats! How about this Chocolate Peanut Butter Ball Cheesecake (Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt)? I love cheesecake don’t you? Or oh my goodness, how about this Chocolate Peanut Butter Tagalong Pie (Sweetest Menu) or Peanut Butter Stuffed Double Chocolate Pop Tarts (Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate). I want it all!