Banana Zucchini Bread, or also known as Zucchini Banana Bread, is a moist, easy, quick bread recipe that combines both zucchini bread and banana bread. BEST of both!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Like Banana Bread and Zucchini Bread? Well, if they had a baby, it would be this Banana Zucchini Bread. Best of both worlds in one bread with fresh banana and zucchini. Learn how to make this zucchini bread that is from scratch and easy to make!
This moist zucchini bread comes together really quick, although you will need some fresh shredded or grated zucchini.
How to Shred Zucchini
If you’re not quite sure how to get the zucchini ready for zucchini bread, I have a few quick tips…
- You’ll want to start with fresh firm zucchini. Make sure the zucchini is ripe and not rotten or mushy. Wash the zucchini if you’d like, but NO need to peel it.
- If your zucchini is really large or has a lot of seeds, you can cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds with a fork or spoon.
- To actually shred or grate the zucchini you can use a box grater, mandoline, or a food processor. If using a box grater or mandoline, cut off one end of your zucchini and grate until you reach the other end. Discard both ends when you’re done. If you’re using a food processor, cut off both ends of the zucchini then use a grater blade. You may need to cut your zucchini in half lengthwise to fit in your food processor.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in some paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and pat out any excess water from the zucchini as well as you can. A salad spinner would also work great!
- If your zucchini “shreds” are really long (like longer than an inch or two), use some kitchen scissors or a knife to chop them into smaller pieces.
Once your zucchini is ready to go, you are ready to continue with this Banana Zucchini Bread.
How to Make Banana Zucchini Bread
First, get your ingredients all ready and prepped including the zucchini.
Next, preheat your oven and lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. You could use a smaller or bigger pan or even muffin cups, but be sure to adjust the baking time and not overfill your pans with the batter.
Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl including the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Instead of cinnamon, you could use your favorite spice or spice mixture. You could even leave it out altogether.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together your wet ingredients. Start by mixing together the sugar and vegetable oil. Then mix in the egg, vanilla, and mashed banana.
Make sure you’re using soft RIPE bananas for best results. You could even try banana baby food if you prefer.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is nearly combined, then mix in your dried shredded zucchini. You could also add some of your favorite mix-ins if you’d like, such as chopped nuts, baking chips or chocolate chips, or even toffee chips.
Pour or spoon the batter into your lightly greased bread pan, then use a spoon to even out the batter.
I like to bake my quick breads like this zucchini bread in the middle of the oven so that the bottom and top don’t brown too quickly. This Banana Zucchini Bread does take a while to bake. I’d start checking it out after about 30-40 minutes. If it’s starting to brown too quickly you can loosely cover the top with aluminum foil.
It will probably take about 45-60 minutes for the bread to bake completely. The bread will be brown and when you insert a toothpick into the middle, the toothpick will come out clean when the bread is cooked through.
Cool the bread slightly, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Please be careful when removing the bread from the pan. I accidentally stuck my thumbs right in the middle of the top which you can probably see. OOPS!
Although I do say to cool this Banana Zucchini Bread, who am I kidding?! This bread is great warm out of the oven even with a little ice cream.
Or some people prefer it toasted with a little butter.
My kids didn’t even realize there was zucchini in this! I told them it was banana bread then told them later, so it’s kind of more like a zucchini banana bread, rather than a banana zucchini bread. haha!
If you don’t like zucchini, you probably wouldn’t even notice either!
Hope you enjoy this Banana Zucchini Bread recipe!
Banana Zucchini Bread
Banana Zucchini Bread, easy zucchini bread recipe from scratch with mashed ripe banana.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup banana mashed (be sure banana is ripe)
- 3/4 cup grated unpeeled zucchini
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and vegetable oil until well combined. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract, then mashed banana until well combined.
Mix the dry ingredients into the sugar and oil mixture until nearly combined, then mix in grated zucchini until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Spread batter as needed to form an even layer.
Bake bread in the middle of the oven for about 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Cool bread slightly in pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
SNAPPY TIPS: If bread starts to brown too quickly on top before the middle is done baking, you can lightly cover the top of the bread with aluminum foil to finish baking. For best results be sure your bananas are very ripe.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of cinnamon you can use your favorite spices. You can also add some chocolate chips and/or nuts.