Ready for some holiday baking??? What if you had a cookie/treat recipe for every day of the year?? I’m excited to announce that my dear friend Anna from Cookie Madness has just the book for you this holiday season and for year-round baking! Her cookbook, The Daily Cookie, 365 Tempting Treats for the Sweetest Year of Your Life has a recipe for each day of the year! Yes, EACH day of the year from January 1st to December 31st! If you have a foodie on your holiday or Christmas list, you’ll want to get them this book and a copy for yourself!
The Daily Cookie, has a cookie recipe for each day of the year that corresponds to the holiday or another historical occasion for that day. There are a wide range of holidays and occasions including such days as the First Girl Scout Cookie Sale (December 2nd), National Newspaper Carrier Day (September 4th), Tax Day (April 15th), Barbie Doll Debut (March 9th), and major holidays like Christmas (December 25th) and Fourth of July (July 4th). Each recipe includes the history or story about that day along with a photo. YES a photo of each cookie!! Love that!
The book includes a wide range of fun and easy recipes for cookies and treats including Monster Cookies, Cinco de Mayo Pepita Crunch Cookies, White Chocolate Mango Pecan Cookies, Pretty Pink Melt-Aways, and Salted Peanut Bars. The book also includes a lot of baking and ingredient tips. An index at the back of the book by cookie type makes it easy to select a cookie if you’re looking for drop cookies, cut-out cookies, or cookies by pan size or batch size. There are also some cookies that can be made gluten-free, egg-free, or vegan. Also some great gift cookies, bake sale favorites, and breakfast cookies. And did I mention that yours truly even has a cookie recipe in there too. If you like to bake, you will not be disappointed in this book! The Daily Cookie is currently less than $16 on Amazon which is less than a NICKEL per recipe! A bargain for sure! Just for the record, I am not making any money off this book I just really love it and know it would be the perfect gift this holiday season!
Today’s recipe, Spicy Chocolate Ginger Guys, is from The Daily Cookie (and adapted slightly and reprinted with permission from Andrews McMeel Publishing and author Anna Ginsberg). The dough comes together quick. You may need to add a little extra flour or refrigerate the dough if you have a hard time rolling it out. These Spicy Chocolate Ginger Guys are for November 5th, Guy Fawkes Day, a holiday in the United Kingdom. The day is celebrated with such things as bonfires, fireworks, and burning effigies of Guy called “guys”. So in honor of the day, Anna came up with these cute “guys”. They’d be perfect for the holiday season as-is or frost or decorate them.
You can cut the dough out into any shape you’d like but I stuck with the “guys” theme.
I placed my cookies on parchment paper. Make sure you leave a little room in between.
Cool completely on wire racks then they’re ready to be eaten! Yum!
I love all the spices in these cookies with the combination of chocolate and coffee. You can easily substitute your favorite spices or favorite spice combination! Enjoy!
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. My recipes are original creations and owned by me unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy my recipes or pictures without my permission. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|Spicy Chocolate Ginger Guys||
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup hot coffee
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 17 ounces (about 3¾ cup) all-purpose flour (plus more as needed and for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together baking soda and hot coffee until baking soda has dissolved, set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer (or stand mixer) until creamy. Beat in salt, egg, molasses, and vanilla until well combined. Beat in cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Alternate beating in coffee and flour into batter with the electric mixer on low speed or by hand with a spoon until soft dough forms.
- Add more flour if needed to form soft dough. Roll dough out to about 3/8-inch thick on a floured surface. Use a cookie cutter (about 3-4 inches long) to cut dough out into gingerbread men. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets about 2-inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until dough appears set in middle. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Substitute your favorite spice combination for the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]
Other gingerbread type recipes I thought you might enjoy:
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake with Toffee Sauce – Will Cook for Friends
- Gingerbread Scones – All Day I Dream About Food
- Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Frappuccino – From Brazil to You
Disclosure: I received a copy of The Daily Cookie to review. No other compensation was provided. All opinions are my own.