Day 2 of my blog!
Thank you all so much for your comments and support! Means more to me than you’ll ever know! I have a feeling this blog is going to be a crazy adventure but I couldn’t be happier or more excited about it! If you’d like follow Snappy Gourmet, check out my facebook page, twitter, or you can get all new posts delivered right to your email. Thank you all so much for passing along my blog on Facebook and to your friends and family! Please contact me if you ever have any suggestions for recipe ideas or questions you may have.
Although I won’t be able to post every day I do have 6 straight days of cookies this week. Four more to go after today. And did I mention that the last four cookie recipes are all made from the SAME dough! Yep, one dough= 4 cookies! Ok enough about upcoming cookies, let’s talk about today’s cookie!
While getting the kids cereal one morning for breakfast I discovered a half used bag of coconut hidden in the back corner of my pantry. Sadly, I don’t remember where the bag came from and what I had made with coconut. I needed to make some last minute cookies recently so dug around to see what else I could come up with and pulled out some chocolate chips, Amaretto, and almonds. Can’t go wrong with Amaretto right???? If you’re not one for alcohol, no worries, read the bottom for some substitution ideas. Next thing I knew, I was making some sandwich cookies. They turned out way better than I would have ever imagined!
Once you from the cookie dough into balls, flatten them out using your fingers to form a thin circle before baking.
Be careful not to overbake the cookies they can brown up rather quick. Once they’re cooled spread chocolate between two cookies and cool completely. Unfortunately, pictures of the frosting did not turn out well. All this winter cloudy weather is not working well for photos! Happy Snappy cooking!
|Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich Cookies||
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 (7 oz) bag flaked sweetened coconut (or half of a 14oz. bag)
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 1 (12oz.) bag chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Amaretto
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick spray or line with silpats or parchment paper.
- Place flour, coconut, almonds, and salt in food processor and process until well combined and coconut and almonds are finely chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together ½ cup butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg and 2 teaspoons Amaretto until well combined. Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Using a teaspoon measuring spoon, drop dough by teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets. Lightly flatten each cookie with fingers to flatten into circle.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-14 minutes or until lightly browned underneath being careful not to overbake. (Watch cookies closely during last few minutes of baking because they’ll be overbaked and brown quickly if not careful) Place cookies on cooking racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips, ¼ cup amaretto, and 2 tablespoons butter into microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted and smooth; about 3-5 minutes.
- Gently spread chocolate filling on bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie to form sandwiches. Cool completely.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Try different kind of nuts such as pecans and walnuts and different kinds of alcohol. If you don’t want to use alcohol , substitute vanilla in the cookie batter and milk or cream in the chocolate filling. Or substitute fresh orange juice for both.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]