Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, an easy cookie recipe and great for Christmas, holidays, and year-round!
I love these Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich Cookies! An easy homemade cookie recipe that I love to make for Christmas! These sandwich cookies are full of flavor including chocolate, coconut, and Amaretto! Oh how I love amaretto! I have several other recipes with amaretto including this Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes with Amarettto Cream and if you have snow, you must try this Amaretto Caramel Snow Ice Cream!
I have 6 straight days of cookies this week. Four more to go after today. And did I mention that the last four cookie recipes are all made from the SAME dough! Yep, one dough= 4 cookies! Ok enough about upcoming cookies, let’s talk about today’s cookie, Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich Cookies!
While getting the kids cereal one morning for breakfast I discovered a half used bag of coconut hidden in the back corner of my pantry. Sadly, I don’t remember where the bag came from and what I had made with coconut.
I needed to make some last minute cookies recently so dug around to see what else I could come up with and pulled out some chocolate chips, Amaretto, and almonds. Can’t go wrong with Amaretto right????
If you’re not one for alcohol, no worries, read the bottom for some substitution ideas. There’s also Amaretto extracts that would be good to try. Next thing I knew, I was making some sandwich cookies. These Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich cookies turned out way better than I would have ever imagined!
The cookie dough is very addictive, so be careful! It’s a little crumbly at first but will come together in no time.
Once you from the cookie dough into balls, flatten the balls out using your fingers to form a thin circle before baking.
Be careful not to over-bake the cookies they can brown up rather quick. Once they cookies are cooled spread chocolate between two cookies and cool completely. Unfortunately, pictures of the frosting did not turn out well. All this winter cloudy weather is not working well for photos!
Hope you enjoy!
Coconut Amaretto Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 ounces flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick spray or line with silpats or parchment paper.
- Place flour, coconut, almonds, and salt in food processor and process until well combined and coconut and almonds are finely chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together 1/2 cup butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg and 2 teaspoons Amaretto until well combined. Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Using a teaspoon measuring spoon, drop dough by teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets. Lightly flatten each cookie with fingers to flatten into circle.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-14 minutes or until lightly browned underneath being careful not to overbake. (Watch cookies closely during last few minutes of baking because they’ll be overbaked and brown quickly if not careful) Place cookies on cooking racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips, 1/4 cup amaretto, and 2 tablespoons butter into microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted and smooth; about 3-5 minutes.
- Gently spread chocolate filling on bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie to form sandwiches. Cool completely.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
More recipes with Amaretto you may enjoy:
- Amaretto Peach Upside Down Bundt Cake – 3 Yummy Tummies
- Amaretto Bourbon Punch – How Sweet It Is
- Amaretto Chicken – Noshing with the Nolands
Abby M says
Hi Lisa! My favorite drink in college was an amaretto sour. Must try these! Hope you’re doing well!
Snappy Gourmet says
Abby, that sounds so good! Might just have to make one of those!
Deb B says
These look great. Might try them with Grand Marnier (just got a new bottle!)
Snappy Gourmet says
Grand Marnier is a great idea! I was thinking about Frangelico next time.
Jersey Girl Cooks says
Welcome to the world of blogging! Love both cookie recipes!
Snappy Gourmet says
Thanks! And thank you for all your help!