Mediterranean Chicken Burgers, an easy homemade ground chicken burger recipe with sundried tomatoes and basil for a healthy meal.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
These Mediterranean Chicken Burgers with sundried tomatoes and basil are delicious if I do say so myself, and not to mention healthy. I’ve always LOVED burgers! It doesn’t matter what’s in them or whether it’s beef, veggie, chicken, seafood, or whatever. If you like this recipe you may want to check out my Caribbean Mango Chicken Burgers and Philly Cheesesteak Burgers as well!
I love all burgers! In 2008, I was one lucky woman by being chosen as one of ten finalists for the Sutter Home Build a Better Burger Contest. It’s a HUGE cookoff and SO much fun! My recipe was Yooper Sausage Burgers with Mustard-Zin Mayo.
I didn’t think I could love burgers anymore than I did, but after attending that cookoff, I can NOT stop thinking about burgers and new recipes!
This recipe uses chicken although you could substitute a different protein if you wish. The recipe is easy to double, triple, etc. depending on how many burgers you want. I usually make a BIG batch of these chicken burgers, cook them, then wrap them individually and freeze.
They’re easy to take out of the freezer, defrost/heat in the microwave, and serve for lunch or dinner. They heat up very well. I’ll admit that even I was surprised how well they reheated.
I usually use 99% fat free ground chicken breast. I think it works great, although you can use any kind of protein you want such as turkey. The chicken freezes very well and I can’t speak to how the other proteins would freeze and reheat.
If you don’t have a food processor to make the mayo mix, no problem. Chop everything up as finely as you can and mix together. This sauce is great on sandwiches as well!
When you mix some of the mayo mixture in with the meat, be careful not to overmix or pack the meat.
Form the meat into balls. I was making a quadruple batch so that’s why you see so many burgers. If I’m going to make a mess in the kitchen I always feel like I should just make a lot of food to save time another day!
The chicken can be a little sticky. I like to form the patties in my hand right as I’m placing them on my skillet pan.
They should brown up fairly well on each side. Just make sure they’re cooked all the way through before serving. I have a cast iron griddle made just for my oven but you can also use any kind of pan or a cast iron griddle that sits on top of your stove.
Serve these burgers with any of your favorite toppings.
See recipe for my suggestions, tips, and substitutes.
Hope you enjoy these easy Mediterranean Chicken Burgers!
Mediterranean Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound lean (99% fat free) ground chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves loosely packed
- 3 sundried tomatoes packed in oil drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 rolls split & lightly toasted if desired
- Suggested toppings: Lettuce slice tomato, feta cheese, and/or red onion slices
- Crumble chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Place mayonnaise, basil, tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in food processor and pulse until nearly smooth and well combined. (If you don’t have a food processor, very finely chop the basil, tomatoes, and garlic and mix into mayonnaise)
- Add 1/3 cup of mayonnaise mixture to bowl with chicken, reserve remaining mayonnaise mixture. Combine chicken and mayonnaise with hands or large spoon until just combined being careful not to overmix or pack meat. Form into 4 even patties.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray or coat bottom of pan with oil. Place pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add chicken patties and cook about 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise mixture on cut sides of rolls. Top bottom roll with chicken patty then top with desired toppings such as lettuce, tomato, feta cheese, and/or onion slices then cover with top roll.
Other burger recipes you may enjoy: