Mini Scones with Walnuts, an easy breakfast, brunch, or snack recipe. Delicious right out of the oven and better than store-bought!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
These homemade scones are way better than store-bought! You may remember my recent obsession with blood oranges and my Homemade Blood Orange Curd and Blood Orange Margarita. Well, I needed something to go with the homemade curd so I made these mini homemade scones and they turned out great! We had them for breakfast, but they would be a great brunch dish, snack, or with afternoon tea.
Sorry I didn’t get any “action” shots. I didn’t think about it until AFTER they were in the oven. Not a lot of ingredients or prep. To start, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the cold butter cubes.
Then in a separate bowl combine the heavy cream, egg, and vanilla then mix into the dry ingredients. Mix in the toasted walnuts. I rolled out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut into 2 1/2 inch squares with a square cookie cutter. Then with a sharp knife I cut each square in half into triangles. You could make these scones into any size/shape but be sure to adjust the baking time.
I strongly recommend baking the mini scones on parchment paper. Lastly, I brushed a little cream and sprinkled a little sugar on top of each scone before baking.
These scones would also be great with a little orange zest, or blood orange zest, in them. I liked the mini scones with my homemade blood orange curd, but an orange glaze on top would also be delicious.
You could also combine all the dry ingredients ahead of time and make an easy scone mix to use or give as a gift.
These scones are best fresh out of the oven, or at least that’s how I preferred them. You could make them ahead and reheat but just not as good in my opinion.
Hope you enjoy this Mini Scones recipe!
Mini Scones with Walnuts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter cubes with 2 knives or a pastry cutter.
- In a separate bowl combine the heavy cream, egg, and vanilla then mix into the dry ingredients. Mix in the toasted walnuts.
- Roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut into 2 1/2 inch squares with a square cookie cutter. With a sharp knife cut each square in half into triangles. Place scones on prepared baking sheet(s). Brush with additional heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar as desired.
- Bake scones at 375 degrees F for about 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure the butter is cold and cubed before adding. Also be sure your toasted walnuts are cool before adding. A little orange zest in the batter would be a nice addition.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You could substitute pecans for walnuts or omit the nuts.
More scones recipes I thought you’d enjoy: