Homemade Dinner Rolls, quick and easy Italian Parmesan roll recipe that is ready in one hour! Learn how to make dinner rolls from scratch. These one hour dinner rolls come out soft and fluffy for the best homemade dinner rolls ever! Be sure to watch the video to see how quick these rolls are!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I’ve been making versions of these Homemade Dinner Rolls since I was a kid! I have lots of great biscuit recipes (including my super popular Garlic Cheddar Biscuits), but thought it was about time to add this family favorite Italian rolls recipe to the mix.
Being half Italian, of course we added Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese to these Homemade Dinner Rolls. These from scratch rolls turn out soft and fluffy and are so quick and easy to make. Ready in an hour!
If you’re hesitant about working with yeast or making homemade bread, I think these quick and easy dinner rolls will change your mind. They are just about fool-proof, I swear!
How to Make Homemade Dinner Rolls:
To start these Homemade Dinner Rolls, I like to whisk together the warm water and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the yeast and let it sit a few minutes to activate the yeast. Be sure your water is not too hot so you don’t kill the yeast.
Next, stir in 1 1/2 cups of flour, milk, egg, melted butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt until well combined.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese to the dough, than an additional 2 cups of flour. It’s ok if the dough is a little sticky!
Lightly flour a work surface, and knead the dough for a few minutes, adding a little flour as needed, until the dough is smooth.
Grease a large mixing bowl with a little olive oil (or vegetable oil). Place the dough in the bowl, turn the dough over, so that the dough is all lightly covered with oil.
Cover the bowl, and place in a warm draft free place to rise for about 15-20 minutes.
Punch the dough down, and divide the dough into about 15 balls of dough all about the same size. Place the rolls in a greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
Brush the remaining melted butter on top of the rolls and sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top. Cover the rolls again, and let them rise another 10 minutes. While your rolls are rising again, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove the cover off the rolls and bake the rolls for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
You can really make these Homemade Dinner Rolls into any size or quantity. You could easily make smaller rolls to make about 30-32 little rolls. Or make the rolls bigger to get about 10-12.
If you do change the size of the rolls, you may need to adjust the baking time slightly but probably not too much since all in the same size pan.
If everything turns out ok, the rolls will be all touching when you pull them out of the oven. You can brush the top with a little more melted butter if you’d like.
Instead of Italian seasoning, you could add your favorite herbs and/or spices. Dried basil, dill, or oregano would be great too.
You could also try a different cheese, although I would just add it to the dough and not on top of the rolls before baking.
The next day, we love heating these up in our little toaster oven and making little slider sandwiches. So good!
Unfortunately, these photos don’t show how delicious these quick dinner rolls are! They are a family favorite! The best homemade dinner rolls ever! haha!
Here’s a quick video showing you how easy these Homemade Dinner Rolls come together…
Homemade Dinner Rolls - Quick & Easy Italian Parmesan
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages Active Dry Yeast
- 3 1/2 cups - 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil or vegetable oil for greasing bowl
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the water and granulated sugar. Whisk in the yeast and let stand a few minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of flour, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt to the bowl and stir to combine (or use an electric mixer on medium speed).
- Next stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and another 2 cups of flour until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface, and knead the dough for a few minutes until the dough is smooth. Add a little flour as needed while you're kneading so the dough doesn't stick to your work surface.
- Add a little oil (such as olive oil or vegetable oil) to a large clean mixing bowl. Swirl the bowl around to coat the whole bowl lightly with the oil. Add the dough to the bowl, and turn the dough over to coat all sides of the dough.
- Cover the bowl, and place in a warm draft free place. Let the dough rise about 15-20 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Divide the dough into about 15 pieces. Roll each into a ball and place on a well greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Gently brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter on top of the rolls. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese on top. Cover, and let the dough rise again for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the cover from the rolls. Bake the rolls at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.