Adult Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe includes milk, dark cocoa powder, cinnamon, ancho chile, amaretto, and Baileys with caramel.
So it’s not quite 5:00, but after this week, what’s a few hours? The kids have only had one full day of school this week. One day off for MLK, two days off for snow days, and one 2-hour delayed school day thanks to the snow. Today would be one of those snow days courtesy of a few inches of snow overnight (YES, I did say FEW inches). The kids wanted hot chocolate so I thought I’d make my own version. This version of Mexican Hot Chocolate has dark chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and a little caramel and almond flavor from the Baileys and Amaretto. The ancho chile pepper gives just a touch of smokiness. If you’re lucky enough to live in a warm climate, this drink would be great at room temperature as well.
You may have to vary the quantities based on your preferences but I thought it was great just the way I had it. I topped mine with some Cool Whip, homemade cajeta (recipe coming in the future), and some chocolate shavings. This will make you forget all about the recent snow days!!
These would be great with Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies!
Hope you enjoy! You might also like this delicious Lime Batido drink that can be made with or without alcohol! Or this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate cocktail is also quite tasty.
Adult Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Baileys with Caramel
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- Garnishes: (optional) whipped cream/whipped topping, caramel/cajeta/dulce de leche, and/or shaved chocolate
- Whisk together milk, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and ancho chile pepper in microwave safe cup. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until hot and smooth.
- Mix in vanilla, Baileys, and Amaretto. Pour into serving glass.
- Top with your favorite garnishes such as whipped topping/whipped cream, caramel/cajeta/dulce de leche, and/or shaved chocolate.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)