You all asked for some healthy recipes so here’s a delicious Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash recipe! It’s a great spaghetti squash recipe that is quick to make, healthy, low-carb, low-calorie, and low-fat! You can microwave the spaghetti squash in no time in the microwave and make the sauce while the squash cooks so dinner will be ready in less than 30 minutes! I’ve been craving fettuccine alfredo and although this isn’t quite the same, it’s a fraction of the calories, very filling, and fulfilled my cravings for a creamy rich meal!
This Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash recipe has less than 10 ingredients and can easily be made in less than 30 minutes. Since the holidays are now officially over I know some of you have requested a few healthy, low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb recipes. I think this one fits the bill quite nicely although of course everyone has a different opinion of what “healthy” is these days. When I calculated the recipe it was less than 200 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 15 grams carbs per serving. But if you are calculating your own nutritional information please, calculate for your brands and ingredients as the nutritional information can var widely.
If you’ve never made spaghetti squash it’s really easy to make. I actually tried a new way to cook the spaghetti squash for this recipe. I usually cut the spaghetti squash in half and steam it in the microwave or roast the squash in the oven. After reading how some people cook spaghetti squash whole I thought I’d be brave and give it a try. I made sure no one was home JUST in case it didn’t work or in case the spaghetti squash exploded. The spaghetti squash is so hard to cut through that I’m always scared I’m going to cut a finger off!! I poked a long sharp knife into the squash a few times all over (so that steam could escape) then placed the squash in the microwave for 10 minutes. Checked on it then cooked it for another 5 minutes. It was soft and very easy to cut through and remove the seeds.
While the spaghetti squash is cooking in the microwave, you can prepare the mushroom sauce. To get the creamy cheesy type sauce I was craving I used a reduced fat ricotta cheese. Ricotta cheese is not completely smooth so if you don’t like that you can put the ricotta and broth into a food processor or blender and process for a little while until a smoother consistency. It doesn’t bother me though and why dirty an appliance? Your sauce should be ready in about 5 to 10 minutes. If you want a little more sauce add a little more broth or milk.
You can mix the spaghetti squash right into the sauce or spoon the sauce on top. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top as well as some fresh herbs. Hope you enjoy this Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash! Happy New Year!
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. My recipes are original creations and owned by me unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy my recipes or pictures without my permission. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash|| || |
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces mushrooms (I used baby bella), sliced
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- With a long sharp knife, poke long deep holes into the squash to allow for steam to escape during cooking. Place squash on a microwave safe plate or shallow dish. Microwave on high for 10-20 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Cool slightly then cut in half, discard seeds, then shred remaining squash into long threads.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add garlic and mushrooms to pan and cook about 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add broth, ricotta cheese, and ¼ cup Parmesan. Add salt/pepper to taste. Stir sauce to combine and cook until heated through.
- Place about 1 cup of squash onto each plate and spoon mushroom sauce on top. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of Parmesan, use your favorite Italian cheese. Instead of ricotta cheese you could also use cream cheese or mascarpone. Instead of fresh parsley, you could substitute your favorite Italian herbs such as oregano or basil.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]
Other spaghetti squash recipes you may enjoy:
- Spaghetti Squash Pancakes – Ruffles & Truffles
- Creamy Pumpkin “Pasta” – Jan’s Sushi Bar
- Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, & Parmesan – Buns in My Oven