Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry, an easy homemade low-carb healthy spaghetti squash recipe full of flavor! Learn how to make spaghetti squash in the microwave and turn it into an easy stir-fry like a spaghetti squash pad thai with lots of vegetables, lean ground chicken, and a homemade stir fry sauce with peanut butter.
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I hope you enjoy this Asian peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry recipe as much as I did! This easy and healthy Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry recipe is to make up for all the cookie and dessert recipes I’ve posted. It’s all about balance right? I also have a great vegetarian or side dish creamy spaghetti squash recipe, Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash.
I don’t know why I don’t come up with more healthy spaghetti squash recipes! Spaghetti squash is easy to make and delicious! To be honest though, it took me a little while to like it. I am Italian after all, so substituting some for pasta, took me some time to accept.
I will admit though spaghetti squash is great change from pasta. If you’re wondering what spaghetti squash tastes like, I find that it has a very mild flavor that goes well with so many flavor combinations.
This Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry recipe is quick enough for a weeknight meal and bursting with flavor! It’s easy to change with your family’s favorite vegetables and/or protein! It’s similar to a spaghetti squash pad thai recipe and loaded with lots of vegetables that you can change up based on your preferences and an easy homemade stir-fry sauce with peanut butter.
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash:
The toughest part about cooking spaghetti squash is cutting it in half to cook. You can slit holes in it and bake in the oven to allow the steam to escape, but I just get a sharp knife and cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
Be very careful when cutting the spaghetti squash. Similar to a pumpkin, it can be tough to cut in half so make sure you have a sharp knife and you watch your fingers.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash:
If you’re wondering how to cook a spaghetti squash, there are many ways! Some people microwave spaghetti squash and some roast or bake in the oven. You can even cook spaghetti squash in your crock pot or slow cooker. For this recipe, I decided to microwave the spaghetti squash. But you can see my How to Cook Spaghetti Squash for other options.
How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash:
Cut the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds, then place the spaghetti squash in a large microwave safe pan with the cut side down. I love Pyrex glass baking dishes for this. Add a little water to the pan, cover somewhat loosely with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for about 10-15 minutes or until soft.
Depending on the size of your spaghetti squash you may need to cook it a little longer. I’d suggest checking on it every now and then.
How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash:
After you cook the spaghetti squash, either in the microwave, or another method, be sure to let it cool slightly. Then using a fork, remove the inside of the spaghetti squash in long threads. It should come right out. If it’s not, then it’s probably not cooked enough.
How to Make Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry:
While you’re cooking the spaghetti squash in the oven, start cooking the ground chicken and garlic in a large skillet.
You could substitute any kind of ground/chopped meat or omit the meat all together for a vegetarian meal. Ground pork or even shrimp would be great too!
You can use any kind of vegetables you’d like to this Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry. I added mushrooms, green pepper, and red onion but like I said you can use any veggies you want in this recipe.
Add the veggies to the pan and cook until they start to cook through but still a little firm.
When everything is cooked through make the homemade stir-fry sauce by adding the soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, ginger, and pepper flakes to the pan. A little bit of lime juice really adds a nice freshness to this recipe!
Stir in the cooked spaghetti squash then before serving add some fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts.
And there you go, an easy and healthy spaghetti squash stir-fry recipe that is perfect for a family dinner!
I hope you enjoy this easy spaghetti squash recipe!
Check out this quick video to see how easy this Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry is to make…
Let me know if you make it and what you think of this homemade stir-fry.
Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 (8 oz.) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper seeds removed & thinly sliced
- 1 red onion cut in half & thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (choose a gluten-free brand variety if you're gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- dash ground ginger
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts finely chopped
- Cut squash in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Remove seeds with spoon. Place squash, cut side down in a microwave safe pan. Add about 1/4 cup of water to pan and cover pan with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for about 10-15 minutes or until squash is soft. Cool slightly. Using a fork, remove squash in long strands.
- Meanwhile, place large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Cook garlic and chicken, while crumbling chicken, for about 3-5 minutes or until chicken is about cooked through. Add mushrooms, green pepper, and onions to pan and cook another 4-6 minutes or until vegetables and meat are cooked through.
- Add soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, ginger, and pepper to pan and stir to combine. Add squash and stir to coat. (if you don’t have enough room in your pan, combine in a large mixing bowl).
- Top with cilantro and peanuts before serving.