Ever start off making something in the kitchen and when you’re all done, you realize you may have gone a little overboard and ended up with something completely different? Ok, maybe it’s just me and I’m just the crazy one. I started off making strawberry shortcakes, I SWEAR. Yep, just plain-old-simple-but-good strawberry shortcake. But next thing I knew I was taking out the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and Amaretto! Maybe I am crazy, because I really think they were all calling my name from the cupboard…
Next thing I knew I ended up with 2 very tall family-size Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes with Amaretto Cream! Just because I love you all SO much I used up every last drop of Amaretto I had in my house. Frangelico or other flavored liqueurs would be great too or leave it out and use milk. You could also make smaller shortcakes if you don’t want to make large ones. These were incredible! These shortcakes are definitely big enough to share with your loved ones, or just eat one all by yourself. Your secret will be safe with me! This would be a great Mother’s Day dessert this weekend!
Don’t forget to follow me on FACEBOOK so you can hear about some of my upcoming recipes!! I have some special treats coming up that you are NOT going to want to miss!
I used a food processor for the shortcake, but you can make everything in a bowl.
I added the butter to the food processor but you can cut it in with a fork, knife, or pastry cutter.
I used Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and dark cocoa powder but you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips and original cocoa powder if you don’t like dark chocolate.
The recipe makes 6 large shortcakes but you can make 12 small ones just be sure to adjust the time.
While the shortcakes are baking, start making the cream. I used Philadelphia cream cheese and Jell-O vanilla instant pudding mix, but you can use other flavors of pudding such as chocolate or coconut. Make sure the cream cheese is nice and soft so that the mixture won’t be lumpy. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or two until a firmer consistency.
When everything is done, start assembling and serve! Garnish with some whipped topping/cream and strawberries if desired!
I’m just a poor blogger who doesn’t take any advertisement money and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes with Amaretto Cream|| |
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (or original)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted cold butter, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3.4oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- ¼ cup Amaretto (or substitute other liqueur or milk)
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 ounces defrosted frozen whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Garnish (optional): whipped topping/cream & strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat (or grease pan well).
- Place ⅔ cup milk and dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool.
- Meanwhile, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into food processor (or large bowl), and process until combined (or whisk together if not using processor). Add butter and process until just combined (or cut in with fork if not using a food processor).
- While food processor is running, slowly add milk and chocolate chip mixture until just combined (or stir in until just combined if making in a bowl).
- Spoon mixture into 6 large circles (or 12 small) onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until set (or about 8-12 minutes for small). Cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl mix together cream cheese and pudding mix with electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Mix in Amaretto and milk until well combined. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours or until firm.
- To assemble, place a chocolate shortcake on serving plate then top with cream, strawberries; repeat layers ending with a chocolate shortcake. Top with whipped topping/cream and strawberries if desired.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: If you don’t like dark chocolate, substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips and original unsweetened cocoa powder. Instead of Amaretto you could use any liqueur or milk. Substitute your favorite flavor of instant vanilla pudding for the vanilla such as chocolate or coconut.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]