(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
I’m not really sure whether to call these Whipped Root Beer Granita Shots a drink? dessert? snack? Maybe a combination of all three? Well whatever it is, it only has THREE ingredients and super snappy to make! All you need is some root beer, Pinnacle Whipped Vodka, whipped cream, and some time to wait for the granita to freeze. This recipe would work just as well with any flavor soda and any flavor of Pinnacle vodka! Ohhhhh the possibilities!!! For the under 21 crowd, I have a few granita recipes from around the internet that I think you’ll enjoy too!
If you’ve never heard of “granita” it’s an Italian dessert that is semi-frozen and made from sugar, water, and some kind of flavoring, fruit, etc. Kind of like Italian Ice but not exactly. Although I’ve made granitas in the past I was a little skeptical if just combining vodka and soda would work, and it DID! Actually the vodka kept the mixture from now over freezing and gave it a slightly softer texture.
So pick your favorite root beer or soda (I used regular soda, but I’m thinking diet would probably work). Other drinks like lemonade, limeade, fruit juices, etc. would probably work well also although I did not actually try them. Pick your favorite Pinnacle vodka flavor. I used “Whipped” for a root beer float type granita.
Pour both the root beer and vodka into a freezer safe shallow dish or container such as a square or rectangular baking dish. A shallow container is better and quicker for freezing. Stir to combine then place your container in the freezer and make sure it’s flat and has plenty of room.
Every 20-30 minutes check on your granita and using a fork (or spoon), mix and scrape the ice that is forming. After a few hours you’ll have granita! Make sure you don’t open the freezer too much while the granita is in the freezer except to check on it. Otherwise, it won’t freeze or will take ALOT longer to freeze.
I served my granita in little shot glasses but you can use any glass or bowl. I also topped mine with a little whipped cream. The granita can also be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
I got these cute little shot glasses from TJ Maxx and they were cheap!!! They have a lot of cute and inexpensive glasses, bowls, etc. Hope you enjoy the granita!
Hope you enjoy!
Whipped Root Beer Granita Shots
- 1 (12oz.) can of root beer (or any flavor of soda)
- 1/2 cup Pinnacle Whipped Vodka (or any flavor of Pinnacle vodka)
- Garnish (optional): Whipped cream, whipped topping, vanilla ice cream
- Mix together root beer and vodka in a large shallow freezer safe container such as a 9×9 or 13×9 baking dish.
- Place container in freezer. Every 20-30 minutes, check on mixture and quickly scrape sides and bottom of container where frozen with fork (or spoon) and mix to combine.
- Continue scraping bottom and sides of container for several hours or until desired consistency.
- Serve in shot glasses or desired serving glasses/bowls. Top with whipped cream, whipped topping, and/or vanilla ice cream.
SNAPPY TIPS: While mixture is in the freezer, try not to open the freezer door except to check on it. Otherwise it will take the granita a lot longer to freeze. Granita can be made ahead and stored in container.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Use any Pinnacle vodka and soda flavor for a whole new drink/dessert!
Other granita recipes from around the internet I think you’ll enjoy:
- Refreshing Watermelon Granita – Comfort of Cooking
- Moroccan Mint Granita – Silk Routes
- Oh So Refreshing Pumpkin Orange Granita – Nestle Very Best Baking