Shortbread Cookies, an easy cookie recipe with 3 flavors to choose from including Vanilla Cardamom, Orange Cranberry, and Lemon Rosemary.
Homemade Shortbread Cookies, an easy shortbread cookie recipe in 3 flavors! My friend over at Mamacat’s Q Tea asked me this spring to help out with a gift basket for a fundraiser. I wanted to come up with something that I could make ahead of time and that would complement her incredible flavors of tea, so Ina Garten’s shortbread cookies came to mind. Since this gift basket was for a silent auction I didn’t think a basic shortbread would cut-it. Next I thing I knew I was trying out some different flavors including these 3 – Vanilla-Cardamom, Lemon-Rosemary, and Orange-Cranberry.
This post was supposed to read “Shortbread Cookies – 4 Flavors!” but I’ll admit that one of the flavors did NOT turn out well and the shortbread cookies were a mess. I tried making a maple toffee version and I think I added way too much maple syrup and toffee because they spread like crazy and looked horrible. But they tasted great! I’ll have to work on that one!
You can come up with your own flavors and cut the shortbread cookies into any shape you want. I cut them into small bite-size 1-inch squares.
Hope you enjoy!
Shortbread Cookies - 3 Flavors!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in vanilla. Stir in desired flavor additions (see below).
- In separate small mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt until combined then beat into butter/sugar mixture.
- Form dough into flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to about 1/2-inch thickness on floured work surface. Using a 1 inch square cookie cutter, cut out dough (or cut into desired shapes). If you want sharp edges, refrigerate cut-out cookies for 10-20 minutes before baking.
- Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets (or baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silpats) and bake about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown around edges (or bake about 20-25 minutes or cookies about 2-3 inches in diameter).
- Makes about 4 dozen (1-inch squares) – yield will vary depending on size you cut cookies into.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)