Pinterest Everything! How to get started on Pinterest, how to create and name boards, how to follow someone, how to get followers, and more!
Are you using Pinterest? If not, you’ll want to jump on the bandwagon when you see how quick and easy it is to get started! So today I’m talking Pinterest Everything! Answering some of your questions and helping you get started, find people, get followers, and more!
Have 10 seconds to spare? I’m taking a quick Pinterest survey to see how you use Pinterest or what questions you have. I’ll check it periodically and update this post with any new questions that come up. You can fill out the quick Google Form Survey (only 5 quick questions).
You can also follow Snappy Gourmet on Pinterest to see all my new posts as well as my favorite recipes, DIY, home decor, travel tips, crafts, and more from around the internet!
Ok, let’s get started…
Pinterest Everything: Getting Started
So when I asked my followers if they are on Pinterest and using it, a lot of people were not using it and unsure how to get started. So let’s break it down.
First, go to https://www.pinterest.com.
Pinterest Everything: Creating an Account
When you first get to Pinterest, you’ll get the above screen.
- Fill out your preferred email address, password, age, and click Continue. (OR you can use your Facebook or Google account to sign in if you prefer, but I suggest creating your own Pinterest account and keeping all your social media separate)
- Next, Pinterest will ask you several questions. Fill out your sex (male/female/custom), preferred language, and country where you live.
- Then Pinterest will ask you to pick 5 or more topics you’re interested in such as Recipes, Home Decor, Health & Fitness, etc. This will help Pinterest show you “pins” that are of interest to you.
- Last, Pinterest will ask if you want to upload their browser button. The browser button sits on your computer and when you’re on a different site around the internet, you can click the button, and select which board you want to save that page too. Definitely comes in handy!
- Next up, you’ll be asked if you want the Pinterest app. If you’re on your phone a lot be sure to get the app so you can scroll and search through Pinterest on your phone.
- You now have a Pinterest account! To get started Pinterest may automatically have your account follow a handful of other accounts they think you may be interested in based on categories you selected. You can always “unfollow” these accounts later if you choose.
Pinterest Everything: Creating Boards & Pinterest Board Names
Now you have a Pinterest account, so now what?
First thing I suggest doing, is create “boards”. Think of each board like a bulletin board. Each bulletin board will have a topic where you will “pin” things from around the internet.
- Click on the “red plus” above “create board”.
- Each board you create should have a different topic and name such as “Recipes”, “Travel”, “Crafts”, “Home Decor”, etc. Or there’s a topic you know you’ll be pinning a lot to, get more specific like “Dessert Recipes”, “Gluten Free Recipes”, “Breakfast Recipes”, “Kids Crafts”, “Bathroom DIY”, etc. Bit of advice…Be as specific as you can. As you start accumulating a lot of pins, you’ll be glad you did!
- You can also create Secret Boards by clicking on the “red plus” above “create secret board”. Secret boards are boards and pins that ONLY you can see. So if you want to save gift ideas for someone or something you don’t want other people to see, this is the way to go for certain topics. You can also invite specific people to see your board or to also pin to it. This is great if you’re working on a secret project with other people such as a party or other event.
Pinterest Everything: How to Find Someone & Follow
Now that you have your Pinterest account setup and you have a variety of boards, you probably want to know how to find friends on Pinterest and how to follow someone on Pinterest. It’s actually quite easy to find people on Pinterest.
- Ask! Of course the easiest way to find friends is to ask what their Pinterest user name is. If you know what it is, you can just use the link https://www.pinterest.com/theirusername and you’ll go to their account then click on “follow”. That will have you follow all their boards. If you only want to follow specific boards, click on “follow” on each board you want to follow.
- Search! Use the search bar at the top of the page and search for friends, websites, bloggers, or even topics. Use their name or key words. On the right hand side of the search bar you can click on “all pins” and you can select “people” or “boards” to find others to follow.
Pinterest Everything: How to Find Pins & Save Pins
You should now have everything set up on Pinterest and probably want to start saving pins or pages from the internet.
- Smart Feed: When you sign into Pinterest, you’ll notice you have a “feed” of pins that you can scroll down through. Based on your interests and activity Pinterest will select some pins for you that they think you’ll like. Scroll down and find something of interest. Click on the “save” then the “board” you want to save it to. OR you can also click on the pin for more information and click again on the pin to go to the website the pin came from.
- Follower Feed: Want to see the feed JUST from people you follow? Next to the search bar there’s a little icon that looks like two people. Click on that and you should get a page that says “From people you follow”. You can scroll down and save just like in the smart feed.
- Visit Websites: While you’re surfing around the internet and you see something you want to save, you can use your Pinterest browser button if you installed on your computer or most sites have their own Pinterest save buttons you can use as well. Be sure to select your board where you’d like to save that page.
Pinterest Everything: How to Get More Pinterest Followers
If you’re just using Pinterest for fun, you may not care about getting followers. If you’re trying to drive traffic to another website or selling a product or service, you may want to get more followers. Here are some quick tips:
- Pin regularly. Pin on a regular basis so your followers can count on you for new pins.
- Create great looking pins. Pinterest recommends creating pins that are 2:3 such as 600×900 pixels. Create pins that are visual appealing and catch someone’s eyes.
- Have a variety of interesting boards. Make sure your account is set up with boards people want to follow that are well organized and complimentary topics.
- Make sure your account is fully set up. Go through ALL of Pinterest’s settings and make sure you have everything set up including a profile pic and page description. Include a link to any of your websites or products. You may also want to convert your Pinterest page to a “Business Page” for more settings and features.
- Tell everyone. Be sure you tell others on social media, your email subscribers, friends and family, etc. that you’re now on Pinterest. Send them the link so they can easily click over to Pinterest and click on “follow”.
- Use Pinterest Schedulers. To help pin regularly, you can use Pinterest schedulers to help you pin such as Tailwind, BoardBooster, and ViralTag.
- Check out Third Party Apps. Apps like MiloTree and HelloBar are easy apps that you can add to a website for people to quickly see you have a Pinterest account and follow.
- Use Pinterest apps. Pinterest offers free resources like widgets and save buttons you can use on your website.
- Run ads. You can run ads on Pinterest to build traction on pins or build followers.
Hope you found this all helpful! Please keep in mind that Pinterest changes things regularly so this information may change.
If you have questions about Pinterest, please post below in the comments.