Mini Caramel Streusel Cakes, a great breakfast or brunch cake filled with caramel!
(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Mini Caramel Streusel Cakes recipe, an easy homemade breakfast, snack, or dessert! I have been looking for Kraft’s Caramel Bits for a lonnnnnnng time now. I have even searched in several states (thanks to a cross-country move last year) and never had any luck. I finally broke down and just bought some from Amazon (partly because I needed to buy something else and it wasn’t over the $25 to get free shipping and I just couldn’t stand the thought of paying for shipping so why not buy some Caramel Bits, right????). I wish I had broken down a long time ago!
In order to buy them from Amazon, I had to buy a case, so now I have 12 bags of caramel bits and couldn’t be happier! Well except for one small problem. I went to Target the day AFTER receiving my Caramel Bits and guess what they had??? Yep, right there with the other baking items. I wish I was making this up, because I have looked THERE many times! But I have my caramel, and lots of it, so all is good.
Since I found the caramel AFTER I bought it, I’m going to take that as a sign that I was MEANT to have 12 bags of Caramel Bits at one time rather than just one or two from Target! :)
I had a Pillsbury Cake Mix and some Philadelphia Cream Cheese on hand so thought I’d do a little experimenting. Next thing I know I was making these cute little caramel stuffed streusel topped cakes.
Perfect for breakfast as a coffee cake, perfect for a mid-afternoon snack, perfect for dessert…c’mon it’s cake, it’s perfect anytime! :) When you bite into these cute little cakes you get a great caramel surprise!
The streusel topping makes quite a bit because I like streusel and hate when something just has a little on top! It should be crumbly when you’re done with it.
The cake batter is a bit on the thick side. I like to use a small ice cream scoop to spoon it into the muffin pan.
Use about half of the batter to form the bottom layer of each mini cake. Then place some caramel bits on top and in the middle. Use the rest of the cake batter to cover the caramel. You may need to use your finger to spread the batter around to cover all the caramel. Then sprinkle the streusel on top. Lightly press the streusel down to stick to the batter.
Mmmmmm, love the caramel surprise in the center!
These little cakes are great warm out of the oven or at room temperature. Great for breakfast, for a snack, for dessert, and I think topped with ice cream would be my personal fave!
Hope you enjoy!
Mini Caramel Streusel Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray mini muffin pan(s) with nonstick spray including top of pan.
- In small bowl mix together 1 cup of cake mix, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined. Mix in 3 tablespoons of melted butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl best together the rest of the cake mix (about 2 1/2 cups), 5 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 5 tablespoons butter, cream cheese, milk, and eggs with an electric mixer until just combined.
- Spoon half of cake batter into mini-muffin pan. Sprinkle caramel bits on top of batter trying to keep the caramel bits in center of each cake. Cover caramel with remaining cake batter, then sprinkle crumb mixture on top (carefully push down on the crumb mixture so that it sticks to the batter).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly then remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks. You may need to run a knife around the edges to get the cakes to pop out.