This post is sponsored by SPLENDA®. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands I love so I can keep bringing you more fabulous recipes! (For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Thanksgiving is coming up fast, and this Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pudding with Maple Whipped Cream recipe is something you MUST bookmark! Forget the usual boring pumpkin pie, and try these adorable and delicious homemade pumpkin pudding cups. They’re full of pumpkin flavor and sweetened with SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. They are the perfect Thanksgiving dessert and are definitely on my holiday menu this year! Hopefully, they’ll be on yours too!
You may remember last month I posted an Autumn Spinach Salad recipe. Its an easy fall salad perfect for the holidays, full of fresh flavors and a vinaigrette sweetened with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener. Today I have another great recipe for the holidays, Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pudding with Maple Whipped Cream. It’s perfect treat for people trying to watch their sugar intake. Even if you’re not concerned with your sugar intake, you will still love these adorable and delicious pudding cups.
I’ve been cutting back on my sugar and feeling great! I’m swapping out sugar where I can, and these pudding cups are perfect to swap out the sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. I decided to swap out the sugar for SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. It’s easy to use and it cooks just like brown sugar with half the calories and carbohydrates of regular brown sugar. For every cup of sugar called for in a recipe, you can substitute a half cup of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. My family could NOT tell the difference and they gobbled up the pudding in seconds.
For the Pumpkin Spice Pudding you’ll need canned pumpkin (unsweetened, not the pumpkin pie filling), vanilla extract, egg substitute, milk, pumpkin pie spice, light butter, cornstarch, salt, and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. If you don’t like pumpkin pie spice you could just substitute cinnamon or your favorite baking spice.
If you’ve never made homemade pudding before you’ll be amazed how quickly it comes together. You may never go back to the box version again. To start, mix together the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, cornstarch, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. Then in a saucepan, mix together the milk, egg substitute, and salt. Mix in the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend mixture into the pan and cook it all over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the butter, then cook the pudding for about 4-5 minutes or until it’s thick and bubbly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and pumpkin. How easy is that? In less than 10 minutes you have homemade pudding! Spoon the pudding into small serving bowls or glasses, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours. Although I have to admit, the pudding is delicious warm too!
After the pudding has been in the refrigerator for a few hours, start working on the Maple Whipped Cream. Be sure the heavy whipping cream and mixing bowl are COLD. This will help the cream whip quicker. You can whip the cream by hand with a whisk, but I definitely recommend whipping the cream with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Whip the cream with the maple flavoring and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend until soft peaks, then spoon a little on top of each dessert.
Instead of using a spoon for the whipped cream, you could also use a pastry bag. For an even easier trick, put the whipped cream in a small resealable bag, seal it, then cut one corner off and you’ll have a quick and easy pastry bag. A small resealable works great!
Top the pudding cups with a little chopped pecans for a little crunch. If you don’t like pecans you could substitute walnuts or your favorite nuts, crushed graham crackers, or even cookie crumbs would work.
Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you enjoy this Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pudding with Maple Whipped Cream recipe!
Want to start swapping your sugar? Sweet Swaps is a great site to check out with lots of tips, tricks, and recipes about swapping out the sugar in your diet. Be sure to check SPLENDA® products out on social media including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Follow the fun with #SweetSwaps and post your own sweet swaps! I’d love to see what you come up with!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pudding with Maple Whipped Cream
Pumpkin Spice Pudding:
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons light butter (or unsalted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz.) can 100% pure pumpkin (unsweetened)
Maple Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Mix together 1/3 cup SPLENDA<sup>®</sup> Brown Sugar Blend, cornstarch, and pumpkin pie spice together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together milk, egg substitute, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in SPLENDA<sup>®</sup> Brown Sugar Blend mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Cook until mixture begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pumpkin.
- Spoon pudding into 8 small serving bowls. Cover each with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- In a chilled medium mixing bowl, whip together heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon SPLENDA<sup>®</sup> Brown Sugar Blend, and maple flavoring with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream on top of pudding cups, or use a pastry bag. Top with chopped nuts.
SNAPPY TIPS: Pudding cups may be assembled a day ahead of time but sprinkle the nuts on right before serving so they don't get soft.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of pecans, you could use walnuts. Vanilla extract may be substituted for maple flavoring. SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener may also be substituted for the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend.
Other Sweet Swaps recipes I thought you’d enjoy:
- Autumn Spinach Salad – Snappy Gourmet
- Sweet & Smoky Chipotle Marinade – SPLENDA® Sweeteners
- Apple Pie Oatmeal – SPLENDA® Sweeteners
- Homemade Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake – SPLENDA® Sweeteners