Mushroom Herb Stuffed French Toast, a savory breakfast recipe with mushrooms, cheese, and herbs.
I made this again the other day and forgot how incredible it makes the house smell! It’s a savory stuffed french toast recipe full of cheese, herbs, and of course mushrooms!
It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner! To make this recipe “lighter” you can use skim milk, light cheeses, and egg substitute. To make this recipe a little more “snappy” you can assemble the “sandwiches” ahead of time, cover and refrigerate, then fry everything up before serving.
You might also like this Cannoli Overnight French Toast Casserole!
Mushroom Herb Stuffed French Toast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese (regular or reduced fat) softened
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese divided
- 4 tablespoons minced chives divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk (or any type of milk)
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter then add mushrooms and cook until soft; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, 1 cup Gruyere cheese, 2 tablespoons chives, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Spread over one side of each bread slice. Spoon mushrooms over half of the slices; place remaining bread slices over the top, spread side down.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and melted butter. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches in remaining butter in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives.