Light Italian Chicken Chili, an easy chicken chili recipe full of fresh vegetables!
This post is sponsored by Country Crock®. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands I love so I can keep bringing you more fabulous recipes! (For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
If you’re looking for a fresh and light dinner idea for your family, I teamed up with Country Crock® again for the perfect solution for you! You may remember my recent post, Simply Sautéed Italian Green Beans with Country Crock® buttery spread, and now I’ve come up with this easy Light Italian Chicken Chili recipe. This chicken chili recipe is full of fresh vegetables and easy to make!
I started with the Fresh & Light Chicken-Veggie Chili recipe from Country Crock® and added my own Italian spin to the recipe.
This Light Italian Chicken Chili recipe comes together quickly, so be sure to have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go.
To start, add some Country Crock® buttery spread to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it has melted, add half slices of Italian bread and cook the bread about 1-2 minutes per sides or until slightly toasted. Set the bread aside for serving with the chili.
Next, get started on the chili. Melt another tablespoon of Country Crock® buttery spread in the same pan then add the chopped raw chicken. Stirring frequently, cook the chicken for a few minutes or until nearly cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside for a few minutes.
In the same pan again, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of Country Crock® buttery spread. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, and onion to the pan and stir occasionally until the vegetables are crisp-tender, which should take about 4 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook covered until tomatoes cook down and vegetables are tender, which should take about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and basil and then you’re ready to serve! Super quick and easy!
Serve the chili in small bowls along with the toasted bread. You could also add some additional chopped basil on top if you’d like.
It does take a little time to chop all the vegetables, but I do love that everything can be cooked in one pan which saves a lot of time on cleanup!
To save even more time, you could substitute frozen vegetables or even canned chopped tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. You could also use whatever vegetables and herbs/spices you have around the house. Fresh oregano would also be great instead of the basil.
For a vegetarian option, use black beans or use your favorite meat substitute instead of the chicken.
The slices of toasted bread make the perfect dippers for this Light Italian Chicken Chili! The chili would also be great on top of rice or even pasta. I made a big batch of this chili and ate it for lunch all week. It would also freeze well!
Hope you enjoy this Light Italian Chicken Chili recipe!
I’d love to hear if you make this recipe or how you made it your own! You can join the conversation online using #CountryCrock! Be sure to visit Country Crock® on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and visit CountryCrock.com for more recipes!
Light Italian Chicken Chili Recipe
- 5 tablespoons Country Crock® Original Spread divided
- 4 slices Italian bread cut in half
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh zucchini
- 1 small yellow bell pepper chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Melt 1 tablespoon Country Crock® Original Spread in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread and cook, about 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned and crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon Country Crock® Original Spread in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked, about 3 minutes; remove and set aside. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons Country Crock® Original Spread in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook zucchini, bell pepper, and onion, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook covered until tomatoes cook down and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and basil; top servings with toasted bread.