Burger time! I love grilling, love beef, and love burgers! These FRENCH ONION BEER BURGERS are delicious! This easy burger recipe is perfect for summer BBQs, parties, and even quick weeknight meals. And did I mention there’s beer in these burgers??? But don’t worry, I have a substitute option for the non-beer fans.
I promise these French Onion Beer Burgers are easy to make! They were inspired by French Onion Soup, but I’m not a big fan of soup in the summer. If you’re in a hurry, you can even make the onions and horseradish dijon mayo ahead of time if you’d like. So let’s get started…
For the onions, melt some butter in a skillet. Then add the onions and cook until soft. Then add beef broth, beer, brown sugar, salt and pepper and cook until the liquid has reduced and the onions are deep brown. Any kind of onion will do. Vidalia onions would be delicious! You could cover and refrigerate these onions for a few days and just reheat when you wanted to use them.
While your onions are cooking, make the horseradish dijon mayo and the burger patties. For the horseradish mayo, just mix together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and horseradish together. You can cover and store in the fridge for a few days as well if you’d like. For the burger patties, be VERY careful to not overmix the beef. With your hands combine the beef, beer, garlic, and salt and pepper until JUST combined. Form into patties and grill on a preheated grill for just a few minutes per side.
When the French Onion Beer Burgers are on the grill and just about done, I like to toast my burger buns on the grill and add some cheese on top of the patties to melt. I used Kerrygold Swiss cheese. LOVE Kerrygold cheese! Spread the mayo on your toasted buns, top with a patty and onions, and there’s your quick and easy summer dinner! Yum!
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, and/or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. My recipes are original creations and owned by me unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy my recipes or pictures without my permission. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|French Onion Beer Burgers|| || |
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup beer
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⅓ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls, each split in half
- 4 slices Swiss or Gouda cheese
- Place butter in skillet over medium heat until melted. Add onions and cook about 10-15 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add broth, ¼ cup beer, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper; stirring occasionally. Cook another 5-10 minutes or until browned and liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and horseradish until well combined, set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a large bowl combine ground beef, 2 tablespoons beer, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper until just combined. Do not overmix. Make into 4 patties. Grill 3-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness. During last minute of grilling place rolls on grill (cut side down) to toast and place cheese on patties to melt.
- To assemble, spread some of the sauce on the cut side of the rolls, top bottom part of each roll with a patty, onions, then top part of roll.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of beer you could use red wine or beef broth.
Visit snappygourmet.com for more recipes.
More burger recipes I thought you might like…
- Caribbean Mango Chicken Burgers – Snappy Gourmet
- Southern Pimento Cheese Burger – Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Mexican Burgers – Dessert Now, Dinner Later
- Peppercorn Crusted BBQ Ranch Burgers – Iowa Girl Eats