Oh how I love pumpkin! And from all the recent comments and emails from all of you, sounds like many of you love pumpkin too!! This Creamy Pumpkin Sage Sausage Pasta came about because I had to make dinner quick and I went on a rampage to see what I had around the house. Next thing I knew I had a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage and can of pumpkin in my hand! This pasta dish is almost like a Macaroni & Cheese and would be perfect for a quick dinner or even a Thanksgiving side dish. It doesn’t take long to make and savory pumpkin dishes are the best this time of year! Hope you enjoy!
Just a reminder that I have TWO giveaways going on right now so check them out. The first is my Land O’ Lakes Giveaway (deadline to enter is November 20th) where you can win a prize package worth $150. The second is my Fall Giveaway (deadline to enter is November 30th) and you could win one of five gift cards. Not a lot of entries, so enter for a great chance to win!
This Creamy Pumpkin Sage Sausage Pasta be made in 30 minutes or less. It really is “snappy”! First put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat to bring to a boil. While you wait for the water to boil, start making the sauce for your pasta. I started with some Jimmy Dean Sage pork sausage. It was soooo yummy with the pumpkin!! But if you don’t like sage, you could also use Jimmy Dean reduced fat sausage or any variety.
I put the sausage, mushrooms, and garlic in a large skillet all together over medium-high heat and broke up the sausage and cooked it until the sausage was cooked through and mushrooms were soft. You can add a little oil to the pan, but the sausage gives off enough fat so that nothing should stick too much. No need to use separate pans for everything or cook things separately unless you want to. I wanted to speed things up a bit and it worked fine all in the same pan at the same time!
Once the sausage and mushrooms are cooked through, drain off any excess fat, then place pan back over medium-high heat. Add the chicken broth and pumpkin and stir to combine.
Then add the cream cheese and Swiss cheese and continue to stir. Sargento makes a Swiss cheese that is already shredded so you don’t have to take the time to shred. It worked great! It may take a little while for the cheeses to melt but don’t worry it will come together. Doesn’t look very appetizing at this point but hang in there!
Keep stirring until it all comes together. Then add a dash of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and keep the sauce warm while the pasta finishes. Always keep your sauce waiting for your pasta and NOT your pasta waiting for your sauce. That’s my little Italian bit of advice for the day…
While the sauce is just finishing up, cook your pasta. I let my kids pick out some pasta at the grocery store and they HAD to have these cute little Barilla Piccolini Mini Rotelle Wheels! Also a great trick to get them to try this dish since THEY picked out the pasta!
Add your pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
To serve you can garnish with fresh chopped chives or sage if you’d like. Yummy!
This is a perfect fall dish and would also be great as a Thanksgiving side dish for a different twist on the usual Macaroni & Cheese!
I’m just a poor blogger and all I ask for is a little love to keep me going. So please don’t forget to ENTER my current giveaways for some great prizes! If you like this recipe, please follow me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER. You can also sign-up to receive my recipes and posts by EMAIL or RSS. Thanks for visiting Snappy Gourmet!
|Creamy Pumpkin Sage Sausage Pasta||
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 8 oz. crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15oz.) can pumpkin
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese (regular or reduced fat), cubed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb. pasta
- Fresh chives or sage for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, add sausage, mushrooms, and garlic to a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage with fork, and cook everything, stirring frequently about 4-6 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and sausage is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin to pan and stir to combine. Mix in cubes of cream cheese and Swiss cheese and stir to combine until cheese has all melted and mixture is smooth. Might appear chunky for a little while, but keep stirring and it will come together. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Lower heat to keep sauce warm.
- When sauce is just about done, cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain pasta and add to sauce. Stir to combine.
- Garnish pasta with chives or sage if desired.