Shrimp Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Quick & easy soup.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Yield 14 (2 cup servings)
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 4 (12 oz.) cans evaporated milk
- 8 cups broccoli florets finely chopped
- 3 pounds (small or medium) raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 4 cups (2 – 8 oz. bags) shredded cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional (for thicker soup): 1/2 cup cornstarch & 1/2 cup cold water
- Toppings options: bacon, sour cream, chopped green onion, shredded cheese
Pour chicken broth and evaporated milk into a very large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to low to simmer. Add broccoli and cook about 5-7 minutes or until broccoli just starts to soften. Stir in cheese and shrimp and cook another 3-5 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked through and cheese has melted. Stir in garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Using an immersion blender, process the soup until desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, pour soup in batches into a food processor or blender and process (make sure to leave the top slightly off for the steam to get out) then pour back into pan over heat.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Slowly mix into soup until desired thickness. Top as desired.
SNAPPY TIPS: This soup comes together fast so make sure you have all your ingredients ready to go. I used thawed frozen broccoli florets. Lots of great topping options for this soup!
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Many different kinds of cheese would be great in this recipe. I think next time I might try cauliflower and Parmesan cheese. Instead of shrimp you could use any kind of protein such as chopped precooked chicken or omit the protein all together.