Homemade Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe for a mild taco meat seasoning. An easy DIY taco seasoning at home so you can tailor to your family's preferences. Makes about 4 tablespoons or use the notes for the bigger batch option.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 0 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 4 tablespoons
Mix ingredients in bowl until well combined then place in covered container. Store in cupboard for 3-6 months.
For tacos, add 2-4 tablespoons of seasoning to 1 pound of cooked ground meat (drained of excess fat) in a pan over medium-high heat. Add 2/3 cup of water and let simmer about 10-20 minutes.
SNAPPY TIPS: For best results use recently purchased or new dried herbs and spices. Older herbs and spices will not have as much flavor.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Adjust ingredients as desired for your family's personal preference. For a salt-free version, omit salt from any recipe.
For larger batch (makes about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup + 4 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper