Alfredo Sauce with Cream Cheese
Quick and easy homemade alfredo sauce with cream cheese. Can use lowfat milk and lowfat cream cheese for a lighter sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Yield 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups milk (skim, 2%, whole, or half & half or heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (good quality)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter then minced garlic. Stir and cook slightly until garlic starts to soften.
Add the cubed cream cheese to the pan. Stir until it starts to melt. Add a little milk at a time and keep whisking. Continue adding milk and whisk until cream cheese is all melted and all of the milk has been incorporated.
When the sauce is smooth, stir in the parmesan cheese as well as the salt, pepper, and nutmeg if desired. Continue whisking until well combined. Use immediately.
SNAPPY TIPS: Use the sauce immediately for best results. A little grated nutmeg and black pepper on top is a great addition as well as parmesan cheese.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You can use fat-free milk or 2%, whole, or half & half, or heavy cream.