French Onion Beer Burgers recipe for an easy summer gourmet burger on the grill with a horseradish dijon mayo spread! Or make it inside!
Burger time! I love grilling, love beef, and love burgers! This FRENCH ONION BEER BURGERS recipe is delicious! This easy burger recipe is perfect for summer BBQs, parties, and even quick weeknight meals. And did I mention there’s beer in these burgers??? But don’t worry, I have a substitute option for the non-beer fans. :)
I promise these French Onion Beer Burgers are easy to make! They were inspired by French Onion Soup, but I’m not a big fan of soup in the summer. If you’re in a hurry, you can even make the onions and horseradish dijon mayo ahead of time if you’d like. So let’s get started…
For the onions, melt some butter in a skillet. Then add the onions and cook until soft. Then add beef broth, beer, brown sugar, salt and pepper and cook until the liquid has reduced and the onions are deep brown. Any kind of onion will do. Vidalia onions would be delicious! You could cover and refrigerate these onions for a few days and just reheat when you wanted to use them.
While your onions are cooking, make the horseradish dijon mayo and the burger patties. For the horseradish mayo, just mix together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and horseradish together. You can cover and store in the fridge for a few days as well if you’d like. For the burger patties, be VERY careful to not overmix the beef. With your hands combine the beef, beer, garlic, and salt and pepper until JUST combined. Form into patties and grill on a preheated grill for just a few minutes per side.
When the French Onion Beer Burgers are on the grill and just about done, I like to toast my burger buns on the grill and add some cheese on top of the patties to melt. I used Kerrygold Swiss cheese. LOVE Kerrygold cheese! Spread the mayo on your toasted buns, top with a patty and onions, and there’s your quick and easy summer dinner! Yum! Hope you enjoy this beer burgers recipe!
Hope you enjoy! Another fun burger recipe is this Oktoberfest Burger that you may like.
Hope you enjoy! Want some more French Onion inspired recipes? You might like these French Onion Roast Beef Sliders, Slow Cooker French Onion Soup, and this oldie but goodie easy French Dip Sandwiches with deli roast beef.
French Onion Beer Burgers
Horseradish Dijon Mayo:
- Place butter in skillet over medium heat until melted. Add onions and cook about 10-15 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add broth, 1/4 cup beer, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; stirring occasionally. Cook another 5-10 minutes or until browned and liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and horseradish until well combined, set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a large bowl combine ground beef, 2 tablespoons beer, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until just combined. Do not overmix. Make into 4 patties. Grill 3-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness. During last minute of grilling place rolls on grill (cut side down) to toast and place cheese on patties to melt.
- To assemble, spread some of the sauce on the cut side of the rolls, top bottom part of each roll with a patty, onions, then top part of roll.
(Nutrition data is provided when available for informational purposes only and calculated using an online nutritional calculator. For the most accurate information please calculate based on specific ingredients and brands you use as well as any changes you made to the recipe. I am not a certified nutritionist or registered dietician and any nutritional information provided should only be used as a general guideline and estimate.)
More burger recipes I thought you might like…
- Caribbean Mango Chicken Burgers – Snappy Gourmet
- Southern Pimento Cheese Burger – Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Mexican Burgers – Dessert Now, Dinner Later
- Peppercorn Crusted BBQ Ranch Burgers – Iowa Girl Eats