(For your shopping convenience, this post contains affiliate links.)
Easy Slow Cooker French Onion Soup recipe for you today! These chilly fall days are perfect for soup, don’t you think? And this French Onion Soup for the most part just involves throwing some ingredients into a slow cooker and it will be ready for dinner. Top the soup with some bread or croutons and some Swiss cheese and you have yourself an easy dinner for any day of the week! It can also be healthy, low calorie, and low fat (if you use low fat cheese! You can never have too many soup recipes, right? :)
This Easy Slow Cooker French Onion Soup Recipe is really EASY, super EASY. The only hard part is cutting all the onions so you might want to get some goggles out, burn a candle, or do whatever you need to so your eyes don’t burn. I like to just cut a few at a time while getting the other ingredients out.
Once you’ve sliced all your onions, you just throw your onions and the rest of the ingredients into your slow cooker and leave it alone for 6-8 hours. That’s it!
You do need a large (about 6 quarts or larger) slow cooker or crock pot for this French Onion soup recipe but you can easily cut the recipe in half. I like to make a big batch then freeze the leftover soup in small containers. If you need a slow cooker, Amazon always has a lot of options…
Or borrow a slow cooker if you don’t have one! Although, if you don’t have a slow cooker, I highly recommend getting one! They definitely come in handy throughout the year and you can get an inexpensive one that will work just fine.
When your soup is done, if you’d like you can spoon the soup into individual oven-proof bowls and top with bread or croutons and Swiss cheese (or your favorite cheese) and place in a warm oven for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted. You can also place the soup in the bowls under your broiler BUT be sure your bowls can withstand that high of heat. You don’t want to clean up cracked bowls and soup all over your oven!
Hope you enjoy this Easy Slow Cooker French Onion Soup recipe!
Hope you enjoy!
Easy Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 3 pounds yellow onions peeled & thinly sliced
- 12 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (or your favorite beer)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- crusty day old bread or croutons
- Swiss cheese
- Place sliced onions into a large slow cooker. Top with beef broth, wine, worcestershire, butter, garlic, and rosemary.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or until onions or soft.
- If desired, spoon into oven safe bowls and top with bread/croutons and Swiss cheese. Place in warm oven to melt cheese.
SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure you slice your onions thinly so that they cook evenly. The recipes makes a lot but you can easily cut the recipe in half or make a big batch and freeze in small containers.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of wine, you can substitute your favorite beer or omit for an alcohol free version. For a healthier version use low fat cheese or omit the cheese and bread.
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
- Cheesy Pumpkin & Sausage Soup – Snappy Gourmet
- Rich Tomato Bisque – Vegan in the Freezer
- Smoked Salmon Chowder – Girlichef
- Creole Pasta Soup with Cornbread Croutons – Melanie Makes