Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage & Beer Cheese Dip, an easy warm dip recipe made right in your crockpot and great for parties! Last year I won some great prizes from a recipe contest sponsored by Taste of Home Magazine and Jimmy Dean. One of the prizes was a year supply of Jimmy Dean sausage. Not sure who in my family was the most excited! We were all thrilled to get a yearly supply of sausage! Everyone at Taste of Home Magazine and Jimmy Dean were so wonderful! Whenever there was a box on our front porch the kids would get really excited, but then disappointed if it was NOT our sausage shipment. Unfortunately, the shipments have stopped but we still have sausage in the freezer and I can’t stop coming up with recipes using all my Jimmy Dean sausage so you may see a few more recipes in the next few months!
Although you may think of Jimmy Dean as breakfast food, Jimmy Dean has all kinds of products and different varieties of sausage including a reduced fat variety. I wanted to come up with an easy dip recipe that would be great for the Super Bowl. There is a little prep work involved but you can cook the sausage and vegetables a day or two ahead of time, store in the fridge, then put everything in the slow cooker the day you want to serve it. I used the “hot” variety of Jimmy Dean Sausage, but I’m sure any of their varieties would work just as well.
The Spicy Sausage & Beer Cheese dip will look like a big mess when you first put it in the slow cooker but it will all melt and come together. You can serve this dip with all sorts of things such as tortilla chips, toasted baguette slices, crackers, etc.
|(Slow Cooker) Spicy Sausage & Beer Cheese Dip|| |
- 1 (16oz.) roll Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage (or any variety), crumbled
- 1 small green pepper; seeds removed & finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1(12oz.) can beer
- 6 cups [or 3 (8oz.) packages] shredded cheese (such as Monterrey Jack)
- 1 (8oz.) block cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet cook sausage, green pepper, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes or until meat is cooked through and vegetables start to soften. Drain any excess fat, then pour sausage and vegetables into bottom of slow cooker.
- Add beer, shredded cheese, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste to slow cooker on top of sausage and vegetables. Stir everything to combine.
- Cook dip on low for about 2 hours or until heated through and cheese has melted. Stir well. Remove cover and keep on low to serve warm.
You can cook the dip longer than 2 hours, but if it may thin out a little due to the condensation dripping from the top of your slow cooker.
I used 16 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese and 8 ounces Italian Blend cheese only because that’s what I had in my fridge, but I’m sure many kinds of cheese would work although some varieties including lowfat may not melt well. You can also substitute other vegetables for the onion and/or pepper or omit one. Other peppers such as jalapenos would also be a good addition.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]