|Spicy Chocolate Ginger Guys |
Author: Lisa Huff - Snappy Gourmet (Anna Ginsberg - The Daily Cookie)
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A chocolate version of a gingerbread cookie. Recipe from The Daily Cookie (adapted slightly and reprinted with permission from Andrews McMeel Publishing and Anna Ginsberg)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 17 ounces (about 3 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour (plus more as needed and for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together baking soda and hot coffee until baking soda has dissolved, set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer (or stand mixer) until creamy. Beat in salt, egg, molasses, and vanilla until well combined. Beat in cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Alternate beating in coffee and flour into batter with the electric mixer on low speed or by hand with a spoon until soft dough forms.
- Add more flour if needed to form soft dough. Roll dough out to about 3/8-inch thick on a floured surface. Use a cookie cutter (about 3-4 inches long) to cut dough out into gingerbread men. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets about 2-inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until dough appears set in middle. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
SNAPPY TIPS: You may need to add a little flour to the dough so that it is stiff enough to roll. You can also refrigerate the dough to firm up if needed before rolling.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Substitute your favorite spice combination for the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]
Recipe by Snappy Gourmet at http://snappygourmet.com/2012/11/13/spicy-chocolate-ginger-guys-the-daily-cookie-cookbook-review/