|Chopped Italian Greased Pig Salad |
Author: Snappy Gourmet - Lisa Huff
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Adapted from Greased Pig Salad (James Beard Essential Cookbook)
Italian Tomato Dressing:
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup California Olive Ranch Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Pancetta, chopped & cooked
- Provolone cheese, cubed
- Red onion, chopped
- Croutons, homemade (or store-bought)
- Place sundried tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt, pepper, dijon mustard, and garlic in food processor. Process until nearly smooth and tomatoes are finely chopped. Slowly add in olive oil while food processor is running until incorporated.
- Mix together lettuce and desired amount of dressing. Place lettuce on serving dishes or bowls. Top with pancetta, provolone, red onion, and croutons.
SNAPPY TIPS: Make homemade croutons after you fry your pancetta/bacon. Remove excess oil, then toast bread cubes right in pan. Season with salt/pepper.
SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Substitute your favorite bacon and cheese if desired.
[For more recipes visit Snappy Gourmet (http://www.snappygourmet.com); sign-up for posts via email or RSS; or follow on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.]
Recipe by Snappy Gourmet at http://snappygourmet.com/2012/11/07/chopped-italian-greased-pig-salad-the-essential-james-beard-cookbook/